Now for Something Completely Different

Discussion in 'Support' started by Darwinfisch, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Darwinfisch

Darwinfisch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I have multi-frequency tinnitus. The dominant is so high frequency nothing can mask it, and a lower pitches have been creeping in as well.

I have been listening to low-level white noise and nature sounds to help for a while, but the tinnitus just seems to be getting progressively worse.

I am going to try the opposite now. I'm sitting here at work with headphones on and NOTHING playing.

Just me and my tinnitus, getting to know each other. Anyone have much experience with this approach?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Darwinfisch

If you have been listening to white noise through headphones even at low volume this could be the reason your tinnitus has been getting worse. Since your tinnitus was originally caused by loud noise; providing there is no underlying medical condition making your tinnitus worse, the usual reason is "sound". Either using headphones (even at low volume) or being in an environment where sound is irritating your auditory system.

Many people think listening to white noise through headphones is just the same as using white noise generators. I assure it is not. I keep telling people this but those, that think they know better can't wait to voice their opinion saying I'm wrong. White noise played through headphones is unregulated and can irritate the auditory system even at low volume. I am not saying everyone will be adversely affected, but one takes a risk using this crude method of sound therapy.

Michael

3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      @Michael Leigh

I keep reading about noise generators but don't know what they are? If you have a moment, can you explain or send a link to where I can look them up?

Thanks in advance.

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Michael B

White noise generators are often used as part of TRT (Tinnitus Retraining Therapy) However, they can also be used independently. Ideally two should worn to keep the auditory system in balance. There are two types available. BTE (behind the ear) which closely resemble a hearing aid. The other type is called: in-ear smaller and more discreet and fit in the entrance to the ear canal. When they are used the volume on the white noise should be kept slightly below the tinnitus. The sound must not mask or cover up the tinnitus. Please click on the link below and read my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View, which describes white noise generators when used as part of TRT. The other link will take you to a website giving further information on white noise generators including pictures.

Hope this helps.
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

http://www.puretoneretail.net/tinnitus.html

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Darwinfisch

Darwinfisch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hi @Michael B,
      I am dubious, but I am curious. In what sense is the sound "unregulated"?

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Darwinfisch

If you were to use white noise generators as I do, then you would understand that the sound coming from them is smooth and not coarse unlike white noise emitted from headphones or earbuds, which can irritate the auditory system. Please read my post below or skip to the end and read my "PS" comments.

The views on whether a person with tinnitus should listen to music through headphones are controversial. Some people show no adverse affects while others do even when the volume level is kept low.
      We are all different so the only way a one can know is to experiment for themselves if they want to. In my opinion, when the tinnitus was caused by exposure to loud noise/music and it has become intrusive - by this I mean a person having to seek help at ENT, then they shouldn’t listen to music through headphones no matter how low the volume is set.

Most music has syncopation throughout its frequency range, so it’s constantly changing in pitch, rhythm and timbre. The beat of the music and volume can also change while listening. This evokes pleasure and can stir our emotions. This happens whether we listen to music loud or soft, although certain types of music does sound better played at a higher volume than others, and vice versa.

Once the Cochlea in the inner ear becomes affected by noise exposure, it is much more sensitive to sound. This is one of the reasons hyperacusis (sensitivity to sound) is often experienced with noise-induced tinnitus. The wearing of WNGs (white noise generators) as part of TRT treatment can often cure the condition or reduce its symptoms. Someone that already has a sensitive auditory system due to noise-induced tinnitus and listens to music through headphones at a low volume, risks irritating the Cochlea further, which can make the tinnitus louder and more intrusive.

In my opinion, it can be misleading when some health professionals tell tinnitus patients, listening to music through headphones is fine as long as long as the volume is kept low. These health professionals mean well and know a lot about the anatomy of the ear and therefore, it is not my intention to try and undermine their abilities or expertise. However, It must be said, that many of them have never experienced intrusive tinnitus and therefore don’t know much about it. I have spoken to people and corresponded with them by email and at Internet forums, complaining their tinnitus has become worse after listening to music through headphones even though the volume was kept low. My advice to anyone that has tinnitus that was caused by exposure to loud noise is not to listen to music through headphones, as the auditory system is more sensitive.

White noise generators.

Some may question the use white noise generators and in-ear types that emit white noise directly into the ear. White noise generators don’t usually irritate the auditory system due to the volume being kept low and its frequency range remains constant, so there is no syncopation within it unlike music. The white noise generator fits behind the ear. Attached to this is a small plastic tube that wraps round the ear and enters the ear canal. At the end of this tube is a small aperture where the white noise exits into the ear. In-ear white noise generators also have a small aperture where the white noise exits.

I believe someone that has noise induced tinnitus and uses earbuds to listen to music, is putting themselves at even greater risk of making the tinnitus worse.

Michael

PS: Behind the ear (BTE) white noise generators, have a "thin tube" that wraps around the ear and is inserted in the ear canal. At the end of this tube there is an opening - a very "small" hole which the white noise emits and is sent towards the eardrum and inner ear. Similarly, in-ear white noise generators also have a small opening which the white noise is emitted. Headphones and earbuds are different. They use a large speaker or diaphragm in comparison to deliver sound. Playing white noise through them cannot easily be fine tuned as the WNG and can cause irritation to the ear and auditory system. Therefore, it' possible to make the tinnitus worse.