Now my alcohol withdrawal is gone I'm doing alot better again

Discussion in 'Support' started by mick1987, Jan 11, 2014.

1. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi guys, I posted near Christmas time that I was doing a lot better/habituating to my recently increased tinnitus, then new years came round and I decided to quit alcohol because I was drinking a lot (8 to 10 pints of beer a day), straight away all the distress come back again, the depression, anxiety, insomnia etc, I was greatly distressed again.

Anyway I'm 11 days sober now and the alcohol withdrawal has gone, I'm getting back to not caring about my tinnitus again, my brain has pushed it to the background once more, i m typing this in my quiet bedroom and my tinnitus sounds loud in both ears, but I don't care, I'm no longer depressed, anxious, I can sleep well again, it was the alcohol withdrawal making me depressed about tinnitus again, now it is gone I don't give a damn about my tinnitus, I hear it clearly, its even slightly louder than a few days ago, but it doesn't register anymore! I am still nervous around loud noises but apart from that I am no longer suffering! I hope this isn't just a good day and I will be back to caring about it again, but I think that I am continuing where I left off at Christmas time, now I feel better that the withdrawal has gone, today I feel great! I hope this continues!

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      you did a great job and the right thing with taking a break from the alcohol, give your body and brain some time to heal from the heavy drinking/abuse, I'm sure not only you will go on not caring about the T but that it will actually get quieter...

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Smoogle
      Wishful

Smoogle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Whoo, you've done it!

You'll have your ups and downs, but I think the general outline is going to be heading on up from here on. :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks a lot seal,smoogle and everyone else who helped me, i was finally doing well at Christmas time, then when I quit alcohol it threw a great big spanner in the works, now the withdrawal has gone I'm doing a lot better, feel stronger mentally, so much easier to deal with tinnitus if you are generally feeling good about yourself, today for the first time since Christmas I feel good! Its great, I'm never going to drink again, it made everything so much worse! Hoping you all success to habituating to your tinnitus, thanks again for all of the support.:thankyousign: Mick.

5. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Dude, way to go!! I am so happy for you! You are an inspiration to me. I occasionally drink to "deal" with my T, and I realize it is only a temporary "fix", and ultimately it's a harm. I am stoked to hear you got through the first few tough weeks and are thriving now. Keep it up!! Congrats!! ;)

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks Jeff, I have got to be honest though my tinnitus is moderate volume, I heard you say your tinnitus is severe? I can hear my tinnitus in the day, over the TV etc but my tinnitus isn't severe, you said that your tinnitus was the same as the video on the thread "how loud is your tinnitus", my tinnitus hasn't got that really high, piercing frequency you said you had, mine is more of a roaring, gas oven type tone, I think your tinnitus is a lot worse than mine so you my good sir are my inspiration, I'm not even going to pretend I know what its like to have severe tinnitus, but I have read many good success stories of people habituating to severe tinnitus. But my tinnitus is quite loud in a quiet room, bedtime it is loud but my brain has pushed it out of my consciousness, hope you can habituate to your tinnitus in the near future, take care mate.

7. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Wow congratulations. Giving up alcohol when you have been drinking a lot is a real accomplishment.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks ladydi, I did a calculation just now, last year alone I drank at least 2000 pints of beer, that doesnt include the hard stuff, yeah crazy amounts, felt like I was dying the first 4 days, doing great now though, not going back!

• Winner Winner x 1
    9. Hendre Vlad
      Haunting

Hendre Vlad Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medicine , noise induced.
      Good job dude :)

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Cheers buddy.(y)(y)

11. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I don't want to give up alcohol it helps me at the moment, but i think it makes t louder, i'm feeling so low, i'm not coping very well, i think i need tranquilizers, but i'm reading that they're ototoxic... so is there anything else that can help me!!!

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi carol, do what you think is best, I personally drank alcohol until I started to habituate to my tinnitus, only then did I quit drinking, if it helps you keep doing what you are doing until you feel better, you have only had tinnitus a few months carol, hang in there, it gets a lot better!

• Like Like x 1
    13. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Thanks Mick, i'm trying to come to terms with this but it's winning at the moment, i'm so glad you're doing better.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Hey Mick, thanks brother for the reply, and the encouragement! We are all struggling in our own way for sure. I do struggle with the severity of my T. It's F-ing gnarly!! But I gotta find alternate ways of dealing with it. The drinking seems to temporarily relieve the piercing sound in my head, but emotionally can take me to bad places. I want to get to where you are. Keep me posted on your sobriety please.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Hi Carol, I totally understand where you are at! I am thankful for Mick for this thread, because those of us that are dealing with T and using alcohol as a "therapy", need to evaluate and most likely change our behavior. I encourage you to just consider slowly tapering. That's my plan. I pray for comfort and healing for you. Stay connected!!

• Like Like x 1
    16. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999
      Well done Mick.

• Like Like x 1
    17. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Thanks Jeff ... i will slowly taper, but i don't think i'll ever give it up completely, but i'll try to just drink in social situations, and not use it to help me with t ... have a good day!!

• Hug Hug x 1