Off Switch

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Billthegardener, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Billthegardener

Billthegardener Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I noticed others mention running was bothersome. I used to run alot, even did Chicago Marathon. T for almost a year and a half. Have hearing aids to help mask it, I have very little if any hearing loss. I failed the hearing tests because the T was louder than the tones. Tried running outside this fall, absolutely terrible like my ears were pounding.

Been getting dry needling for 3 weeks now and found an off spot yesterday. If it bothers you running, it might help you too. My ringing has always fluctuated in volume and tone. To visualize it was off to the right of center. Well my trigger point is on my right side scalene ,closest to where it attaches to the first rib. Try massaging and applying pressure there. Hope you all some relief. On a scale of 10, normally I am 6 to 8. Today less than a 1.

There is hope, think of it as an alarm in the brain telling you there is a problem somewhere. Just have to find it. At its worst, I would just lay in bed and cry. I often wished I couldn't hear anything at all. ENT- nothing I can do for ya, VA- mask it and CBT all the ?s are you going to hurt yourself.

Tried acupuncture -no idea if it helped, dry needling wow when she hit the scalene and started squeezing. Finally relief

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Maciej T
      Creative

Maciej T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown. Neck?
      Huh, I think it actually works for me.

I've been taking care of my neck lately, taking regular breaks from the computer etc. and there was a subtle improvement. Now, 2 days after I massaged spots near collar bone there's a significan't jump in the right direction. I think I can work today without masking sounds!
      Thanks!

(the spots still hurt like hell after the massage)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Billthegardener

Billthegardener Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My physical therapy / dry needling lady really worked on mine. Normal posture and sleeping neck position plays a huge part. Glad to hear you had some relief. I was bruised pretty good after being worked on.

Attached Files:

4. Daveyrvancleef

Daveyrvancleef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      Wow, do you mean the scalene muscle in the neck? I was checking some applications for neck muscles and started to massage the scalene muscle. The next day my 'airplane' tinnitus was gone. I have 3 tones and the biggest was gone.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Aschenherz
      Cheerful

Aschenherz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017 H since 7/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Can you give some links?

6. Daveyrvancleef

Daveyrvancleef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      I tried this one:

How to treat scalene muscle trigger points -...

• Like Like x 1
    7. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Welp, gonna book me a dry needling sessions this week then. Thanks for the tip and glad to hear you've gotten relief!

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Billthegardener

Billthegardener Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

This is an excellent video, hope it helps a lot of you. Easy off switch.

9. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      This video actually annoys me a bit , they dont even say in the video that it only works for 30 sec or so ,making it seem like you can just tap your head and its gone ...poof.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I will say that even before I discovered this thread, that massaging your neck and relaxing your neck muscles help significantly! It brought 4-5 on a scale of 10 down to a 2. I don't know if it was due to just relaxing or some other unknown factor. But massage your neck. Often. The T would be VERY bothersome but I would notice that my neck was super tight and by paying attention to the louder T would start a cycle of getting worse and worse.

The first thing that I realized was that when I took Advil (usually two, but even one 200 mgs) the tinnitus would get worse briefly, but then soon after, better after an hour or so. But I generally felt more relaxed.

So I had my theory: when my neck was tight, the T got worse... So I took it a step further. When I felt myself tighten up, I relaxed the muscles in my neck as well as the muscles in my ears. I noticed when I took a flight and I had the desire to clear my ears, and I did it, the T would get worse.

The best thing I found was that you need to relax the muscles and when you use them, don't over exert.

This helps with lowering the volume to where it can be bearable!! I just hope that over time the baseline volume of the T will fade, either that or my brain will find a different pathway and block it out.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Billthegardener

Billthegardener Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That video work the tapping helps a little for me, but just walking or sitting still with hands over ears applying pressure for 5 minutes them removing does more.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Billthegardener

Billthegardener Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had 5 days of almost zero T, then back at about 4 out of 10. Had low volume mp3 in ears with muffs over that while I cut the grass. Set backs are easy, sure was a nice 5 days.

13. Flowerlover

Flowerlover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, not hearing related
      That finger slapping thing does nothing for me.

How about massaging or scratching your head. While I do that I only hear the scratching. Maybe need an invention that walks through your hair so you hear it instead in variable patterns.

Anyhow, yes, the self massages I find are helpful. I also have a Dr. Ho Tens machine which feels good on all the muscles, but I go to my computer the next day or work in the yard and seemingly undo all my good massage work.

• Like Like x 1