Old Tinnitus, New Tone. Sounds External?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sara25, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Sara25

Sara25 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Hi everyone!

I'm a 23 year old female. I've had tinnitus in my right ear for 4 years now. The official cause of it is mixed hearing loss caused by otosclerosis. I've had the same 3-4 static and slightly hissy tones for these 4 years. I went through the hell of habituation at first but then got to a point where I could completely focus on the noises and not be bothered by them. Until a new tone suddenly appeared 3 weeks ago.

The new tone sounds like a standard high-pitched tone except it sounds like it's outside my head. For the first week, I thought there was something ringing outside my window. I'm currently living in a college dorm and I was so convinced of this that I requested a room change! But I am in the new room and still hear the same tone "outside the window." I visited my parents in America (I'm going to school in England) and I heard it "outside the window" there as well. Does anyone else have an external sounding tone like this? Why did this come on suddenly after 4 years of consistency? I was perfectly fine but now this new tone is driving me nuts! I can't sleep.

As a side note, I got a blood test last week and found out I have a vitamin D deficiency and that the iron in my bone marrow is a little low? Would this affect my T? Sorry for the ramble. I'm just so mad that my T has become a problem in my life again.

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Lacking some minerals or vitamins in the body can definitely cause problem. That is why members here recommend using supplements to help fight T, such as NAC, Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3 etc. Another thing is about habituation. Try to think positively about the situation. The new tone is alien to the body and that is why it rejects the new tone. But don't rule out your ability to habituate to the new tone as you have done so before.

Take care,
      God bless.

• Hug Hug x 1