Olive Oil Ear Drops Caused Tinnitus to Escalate with Morse Code Type of Sound

Discussion in 'Support' started by Pauline W, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Pauline W
      Stressed

Pauline W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi

I have had tinnitus for years and have managed to habituate to it except for the occasional spikes. Suddenly it has spiked to a high level, causing some deafness in one ear. I am now hearing two sounds. I had an appointment with an audiologist and she said that I had compacted wax in that ear and prescribed olive oil ear drops. I have been using these for five days now and the tinnitus has escalated with the 'morse code' type of tinnitus.

Does anyone know if this is because of the ear drops and is it a good thing or a bad thing? Should I stop or is this to be expected?

I also have pain in the back of my mouth, maybe jaw issues.

Thanks
      Pauline

2. Jennifer Yates

Jennifer Yates Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tinnitus worse since Microsuction 4 days ago
      Hi , just reading your post... I also had compacted wax in my left ear, was completely deaf in that ear... because I couldn,t see the doctor, cos of COVID, in desperation I resorted to A&E... they said I needed microsuction, but weren’t doing it til October on the nhs, so had it done privately 3weeks ago.... But if it it gets suggested to you, be warned it makes tinnitus worse, my ear hasn’t stopped ringing since, he did have to work on it for about 15 mins because it was so bad... but right now it’s driving me crazy.... ‍♀️‍♀️

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pauline W
      Stressed

Pauline W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So sorry to hear that. Have been put on sodium bicarbonate drops but my ear is now sore and I have stopped. Thanks for the warning and hopefully your ear will soon settle down again. X

4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I think wax can be removed manually with a special tool ENTs have. According to many posts on these forums, microsuction can cause hearing problems, be careful with that.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pauline W
      Stressed

Pauline W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,

I have had tinnitus for about 20 years but have habituated to it over time. About 5 weeks ago it suddenly spiked higher than ever before. I have deafness in one ear and the tinnitus appears to spike whenever I go into a different room, especially bad when in crowded areas, sudden sounds, even the tinnitus sound machine.

I was told that I have impacted wax and have been on olive oil drops for 2 weeks and now bicarbonate sodium eardrops but no change.

Any advice would be appreciated as it's getting more and more difficult to even be with family. Thanks.