Omega 3/6/9 Supplements?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Amelia, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Fish Oil on Amazon.com

Any ideas if an omega supplement would be any use?

I haven't read anything in terms of using omega for T, but seeing T is related to something in the brain, I'm wondering if it would be worth starting a supplement?

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Probably doesn't do anything for tinnitus, but is quite recommended otherwise for most people (since few get enough omega 3s through diet). Those with blood thinning medication etc. should use caution with omega supplements - better to ask one's doctor if in any doubt about their suitability.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Thanks @Markku. Thought that would be the case. I have a bottle here which my nutritionist gave me a few months ago and just wondering if it would do anything

4. MT09
      Inspired

MT09 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress induced.
      I'm not sure about this. I eat about 2 spoons measurement of flax seeds everyday. So far, I haven't had any problems with them and they don't seem to affect my T in any way.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. james1973

james1973 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Hi all, i'm now trying Omega 3 supplements, has this worked for anyone? This reason i'm trying, well i always get pressure in the front of my head, tired eyes and fatigue with my T, if the T isn't so bad then neither are the other symptoms. A trigger for my T , it can be loud noise but also when my eyes are working, like when on the computer or driving. The T specalist i am seeing can make no link between my eyes and the T, had eyes tested numerious times and are healthy. But because of this pressure feeling this is why i'm trying Omega 3 as its an anti inflammatory. I also have a long standing back problem, which i'm hoping O3 might help with as well. I'd welcome anyone's thoughts on this, thanks

p.s should point out i hate fish and haven't eaten it since the 1970s, so i would virtually have no epa/dha, and so in turn have a massive omega 6/ omega 3 imbalance, which i hear is not a great thing

6. dm222
      Fine

dm222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018/02/23
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after cold and ear syringing 20-30% of volume 06/2018
      omega 3/6/9 is causing pimples in my lips WTF? had two over the last month, and it's not herpes but it really hurts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I now and then eat hemp seeds, they provide omega 3, 6 and 9.
      What I read was that hemp seeds provide the ideal ratio of omega 3/6 for human nutrition.
      One source:
      https://wvhemp.org/2014/11/16/hemp-provides-omega-6-to-3-ratio-ideal-for-human-nutrition/
      Plus it provides omega 9 but your body can produce its own omega 9 so thats less essential.

I tried eating flaxseeds, but they just work as a laxative for me.

Most oils used in factory produced foods gets added omega 6 oils so your body has plenty of that, omega 3 is a lot harder to get.
      Here is a diagram showing omega fat contents:
      efacontentoils.png

I read about people getting a lot of omega 3's in there system because it works against inflammation. You could try eating more sushi and seeing if that does something for you.

Fish oil supplements also work, I tend to choose fish oil from smaller fish like sardines because if you get fish oil from very large fish then you increase your intake of mercury traped in the fish. Bigger fish have more mercury then small fish.
      Source on mercury in fish:
      https://www.fitday.com/fitness-arti...sh-are-the-highest-and-lowest-in-mercury.html

8. John_415

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      What supplement did you take? Did you perhaps choose an omega 6 supplement?

9. John_415

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Good plan to get more omega 3's in your system. To much omega 6 fats are said to cause inflammation. To much omega 3 fats, actually don't do much at all to your body. I remember reading a story on Japanese people that get a lot of omega 3's and research done on the effect of that and there being no negative side effects of it.
      If you can afford it you could try krill oil, its said to be the most absorbable source of omega 3 fats, a source: https://www.naturalstacks.com/blogs/news/5-reasons-krill-oil-is-superior

I would recommend eating ''omega 3 eggs'' essentially they give chicken cheap flax seeds all the time to up there omega 3. Then the eggs contain a lot more omega 3 fats, plus you don't have to eat fish or those flax seeds.
      If you like the taste of hemp seeds (also a good source of omega 3) you could chuck those in a blender, that works very well also. I high dosed hemp seeds years ago out of knowhere to see what that would do, I felt a lot better after that so I think I had a deficiency of omega 3 back then.

10. cspc
      Studious

cspc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have the same issue with omega 3/6/9 plus another allergic reaction which results in more ringing.

11. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Chia seeds contain Omega-3 fatty acids, and have very high nutritional content of many other nutrients. They're a staple in my diet (for many reasons--see article below). I believe they help regulate my blood sugar levels, calm my brain, and improve my sleep. I buy in bulk at ChiaSeedsDirect (link below).

12. dm222
      Fine

dm222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018/02/23
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after cold and ear syringing 20-30% of volume 06/2018

13. John_415

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I say only 3 is usefull.

14. Geoff alston
      Torturous

Geoff alston Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic stress
      I have taken omega 3, 6 and 9 daily for three months, no decrease in my T.