OMG! What Just Happened There? Woken by LOUD Sound Distortion from Car!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Vicki14, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hi Guys,

I’ll keep this brief..... basically 2 weeks ago I was caught out by a loud bell that I was directly under. Needless to say, my ears have been pretty crap since; increased hyperacusis, increased tinnitus, new tones, burning ears, my right ear feels dull but I perhaps thought it was due to a bit of wax I’ve had in there.... you know that spike drill.... :(

Anyway, I was just abruptly woken up half an hour ago by what I thought was part of my dream... a REALLY loud ooooooooooooo sound!!!! I plugged my ears but could still faintly hear it and when I looked out of the window my neighbour had their car running (scraping their windows). I had to open the window to check that the noise wasn’t inside my head and it did get louder! As they drove off, I could still hear a constant quieter tone (which is bloody irritating/frightening).

Basically, do you reckon this is increased hypercausis/new tone is as a result of some hair cells being taken out? Hearing loss?

Has anyone experienced this and had some sort of normality with sound distortion being resumed?

God! Why does this condition mess with our heads SO MUCH.....

I’d truly appreciate any honest comments. Thanks guys, don’t know where I’d be without your support during theses hellish times.... hope you all somehow manage to enjoy your Christmas! x

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Not sure I understand. Are you saying the car just now gave you a new tone?

My personal thoughts are that hyperacusis does make us spike/get permanent spikes easier. That's just my opinion based on what I've seen around the forums. Some people also get new tones easier than others, I've noticed and others don't get new tones at all. On a physiological scale we can't say what's happening there. Saying 'Everyone's tinnitus is different' seems cliche but I see it more as that we can't tell where this ear/nerve/brain damage is on a microscopic, pinpoint level.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Thank you for your reply @Red - sorry, I probably wasn’t being very clear. My head is all over the place, quite literally.

It was more of a hearing distortion - like I’ve never had before... I guess I’m just thinking that the noise trauma has caused more damage which in turn has caused the Tinnitus to shoot up with the sound distortion becoming more obvious? I know it’s definitely not just the anxiety alone causing the spike.

I understand it’s difficult to say exactly what’s going on as botveven the ‘experts’ know.... x

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      @Red

Perhaps what I’m saying also, I think... perhaps I’ve sustained more high frequency hearing loss which is causing the increased h, t and hearing distortion? X

5. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't think any of us can say for sure if anything is permanent or if hearing loss occurred. Car running and scraping is quite a normal sound, though. I think your H spike is making you go through something you haven't experienced before. To me everything you've described sounds related to H worsening. Sound distortion, burning, increased susceptibility to T spikes, reactivity, ear fullness (dullness?) are all very hyperacusis.

In my opinion, you probably didn't get further hearing loss but instead might be having a bad H setback. A person without H shouldn't be woken up by their neighbor scraping their car to begin with, unless they have always been a very light sleeper.

For a while after my H worsened, I was having trouble sleeping because every little sound was waking me up in the middle of the night.

You've taken off work, right? It sounds like you really need some rest, peace and quiet, general noise breaks. (For me, I had really bad reactivity for over a week post H worsening and several days with as few noises as possible, including backing off from white noise for a bit, fixed the weird reactivity spike)

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Thank you @Red for reaching out. I truly appreciate it. This condition turns you into an anxiety ridden mess doesn’t it?

It wasn’t so much the scraping of the car windows (probably info overload there!) it was more the sound that was coming from the car whilst stationary! It was like a loud oooooooooooooo... a noise distortion I’ve never ever experienced and very distressing .... another nail in the T coffin? :(

Yes, I was off work as I work in a school where bells go off and was the culprit to this latest set back. I now have the dilemma of whether to return! I get mad at how much Tinnitus strips from you! It’s such a cruel, screwed up condition that just doesn’t let you make any positive progress and if you make a small bit, you’re quickly thrown back into that pit of despair and well and truly put back into place, imo anyway... I’ve also been wearing my wng’s too... perhaps I should take them off? Jeeze! You just don’t know what to do for the best!! #mybloodyheadisfried!

I hope you are coping ok at the moment and looking forward to Christmas x

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Lane has given some good advice recently about experimentation. If I hadn't taken a break from white noise, my T could still be very loud. I just had a hunch and went with it. I can't say if what worked for me worked for you but I've taken what he's said about trying new things and seeing if they help to heart.

I am trying, @Vicki14 . I just want to spend time with my SO this holiday season but H makes it hard. I got half way through the classic, It's a Wonderful Life with him and hoping I'll be rested up enough to finish it. (Who the hell has to rest up to be able to finksh a movie?! Sigh...)

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      What was this? :)

My friend bought me that movie years ago and I’ve still not gotten around to watching it! :). It’s utterly pathetic that we can’t enjoy simple pleasures like watching a movie without discomfort! Action movies are a complete no no!! X

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Vicki14 I get what you are trying to explain about the outside noise and distortion. Where I live along the ocean the Coast Guard is often flying over in this huge helicopter and sometimes lingers over the ocean. The sound is deafening and I run to close the windows. It is this rumbling low distortion sound that makes my inner ears very sore and sensitive. Boom boom boom. Low frequency but loud and one can even feel the sounds.

It can take a few days for my head to feel...less noisy and sensitive.

Hope you are doing better....

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      @Starthrower Thank you. It’s crazy isn’t it? How your hearing can become so strangely distorted! We need to talk nicely to Santa and ask if he can bring us a new pair of lugs! Hope you manage to enjoy the festivities! x

11. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      There is no way to be absolutely certain as it is practically impossible to tell in what state and shape the cells of your inner ear are in, but the sound level would have to be very loud to wipe out some of them. I don't mean perceived loudness, but actual measurable loudness. Since you were within the comfort of your home when this happened I think it's safe to say that this sound did not cause you any harm.

I'm sorry you had to endure this. I hope you will get better soon and be able to sleep again. I know it's easier said than done when something like this happens but try to stay calm.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Thank you @Greg Sacramento - hellish, isn’t it? I’ll have a wee look at the links, thank you. Hope you have a lovely Christmas and you too @Samir! x

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    14. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      It is @Vicki14

I'm not concerned with my neighbor with his foot on the gas pedal in neutral trying to warm his car, but a large air unit to my heater that's loud is outside between the bedrooms sliding doors. I wouldn't care about that either, but severely painful damaged nerves within my mouth along with severe somatic and newer pulsatile tinnitus makes it almost impossible to sleep.

My distortion appears to have some association with the masseter muscle and sinus and whatever else that I will never know with all my problems, but for sure hearing loss.

I wish you and all a better New Year.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Jeeze @Greg Sacramento I truly feel for you! :( Not getting your sleep makes this so much more difficult to endure! I feel like something from ‘The Walking Dead’, just so desperate for some quality sleep and rest! I truly wish you better days ahead! x

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1