On Shooting Range Without Hearing Protection

Discussion in 'Support' started by Markku, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      On Shooting Range - Did Someone Forget Hearing...

At the end the one who was shooting says "pretty fun". Well, I was shocked by the fact that the one spectator close by didn't use hearing protection. Maybe ear plugs tucked in ears, but if so, they were well hidden.

Anyways, hazardous to say the least.

Before acquiring tinnitus, I don't know if I had paid attention to the missing muffs thing. Maybe, maybe not.

PS. I uploaded this clip to YouTube, this was cut from a Finnish reality show "Paratiisi", currently airing on a local channel. It follows Finnish tourists, tourist guides and diving instructors in Thailand.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I know personally at least two guys who have got (permanent) tinnitus immediately after a single shotgun blast.

It's not worth it.

Are there any hunters or shooters here? How do you protect your hearing?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Scarred

Scarred Member

Shotgun blast can exceed 150dB correct? Instant damage is then possible, huh

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Pamela

Pamela Member

My husband probably got his hissing from going once too often hunting.. 12 gauge shotgun makes a helluva of a sound!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. CGT80

CGT80 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      triggered by Infection/wax, history of noise exposure
      I shoot competitively and for fun. I won't even shoot 22lr from a rifle without ear protection. I have done it before. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't exactly pleasant either. A 30-06 rifle at 50 feet away gave me temporary T and closed off my hearing for a minute or so.

I will not shoot full power loads through my Smith 460 Magnum revolver without double hearing protection. It is louder than many rifles. It has an 8 3/8" barrel with a compensator that blows the gasses (and noise) out the top and sides of the end of the barrel, to reduce muzzle rise. Enough shots with that gun can give people a concussion. The 460 brass uses as much powder as a 30-06 rifle and can push a bullet that weighs 160-400 grains. The 30-06 uses bullets from 110-220 grains. The 460 will push the same bullet as a 45 ACP 1911 pistol (230 grains around 800 fps) to almost 3 times the speed (240 grains @2200 fps). I don't shoot very many full power loads from the 460. My hand loads at less than 1200 fps are very fun to shoot, and much quieter with less recoil than full power loads.

Search youtube for 460 S&W and you will see many videos of these hand cannons.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      I've always used earplugs when I've gone shooting but after tinnitus I don't even want to risk it.

7. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      I'll never touch another gun after what happened. It's a shame, my life is in absolute shambles :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      An interesting post @Markku. Growing up in the north mountains of Idaho we young ones always were hunting, using .22 for grouse, no shotguns. The noise was never severe enough for concern but back then, tinnitus was not a word we knew. As we grew big game hunting was introduced to us by our dad, who was one of Idaho's renowned hunters. Theory on loud rifles, when you came upon a huge elk, looking right at you, your adrenaline takes over, the quick reaction to shooting that elk, all of your senses fade. You don't even hear the rifle explosion.

Now years later the sound of the Mrs. banging a pan getting it out of the cupboard makes me shutter.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1