One of the Strangest Success Stories I Have Ever Read

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Frensis, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Frensis

Frensis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The story I read is about an Italian guy, who wrote 5 years ago on Yahoo Answers. The title of the question is "How I defeated my tinnitus".

He explains that he had an acoustic trauma due to loud music and headphones. He tried benzos with no results, then Zyrtec with a minimum improvement.

Then he started to read a lot about tinnitus (like all of us) and he discovered that he could use some tinnitus maskers, but his ENT suggested not to mask completely tinnitus. (I guess the classic TRT).

But this strange guy said he wasn't convinced and, in a moment of crazyness, he decided to raise the music (the white noise) of the headphones at full volume. For 10-15 seconds the tinnitus (bilateral but louder in the left ear) disappeared completely, but then it came back.

So he decided to listen to loud music for ten days, all day long. His tinnitus disappeared completely.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      That is strange.

My tinnitus reacts to certain sounds or frequencies by getting louder, but it does not do that to all loud noises. Oddly, I have noticed immediately after some very loud noises (like a huge metal tray dropping at the grocery store) that my tinnitus stopped for a few seconds. Because of my hearing loss, I cannot hear higher frequencies until they are nearly 90 dB loud. I wonder if it’s possible that when I hear the lost frequencies, the tinnitus stops.

Despite that, I don’t think I want to blast white noise at 90 dB for ten days.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Frensis

Frensis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I d like to try and see what happens... but I think I would die of pain and my tinnitus getting so loud that I would regret it so bad:sorry:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      Don't try this at home.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 2
    5. leledany

leledany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-11-02
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I read also his story but from what i know he didn’t update so you cannot be sure it is a success story

6. Karel
      Tired

Karel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      That sounds like a really bad idea.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Normally if something is too good to be true, it normally is. This is a prime example of that and residual inhibition won’t cure tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It could be a troll hoping to shift other people's tinnitus into debilitating territory.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Creative Creative x 1
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This reminds me of an idea I had not long after the onset of my T. I really wanted to get my head zapped with a Taser. T is supposed to be the result of neurons being stuck in a feedback loop, and a Taser just might be the thing that can break the loop and get those neurons to "snap out of it". Of course, this would probably make things worse, so I never got to try this potential cure.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Jimellie

Jimellie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      This is a terrible idea! Don't do it! It's like when some guy said that you could charge your iPhone in the microwave. Common sense tells us that nothing good will come from blasting your ears for 10 days straight.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Worst idea that I've ever heard. But I do have to admit that it crossed my mind that certain loud noise might somehow "reset" my T. Does not mean that I'll test that out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      I use residual inhibition a lot, holds exactly for 80-90 seconds with a special tone sample a 20sec at a medium level.. Gives me 80 sec ofnear silence and repeat but would definitely not try to do this with too loud tones or for too long. I think the chance if damaging your ears further is 99.95%, if you are the 0.05% you may get lucky ;). Just kidding stupid idea to listen to loud music. Anyway these days I use a mixture of nature sounds plus special created sounds which inhibit my noisy ringing, and even I often put in only in one ear sometimes 24/7 btw, it works magic.. my brain does not bother that it rings, 80% better than with no masking and inhibition ... in the end I highly doubt this story is true..

13. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      I do think he is a troll. This person might next suggest we find a musician who plays the cymbals and then place our face right next to them <grimace> ! MAYBE .... even for ten consecutive days!!! owwwwchhhh !!!

14. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      I don't believe that.It must be a fake story.Otherwise we would all have been cured by now.

15. MikeB1996

MikeB1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/rave
      Sounds fake.. But i believe that there is a cure that no one has found out yet.. could be simple, it could even sound stupid but could work.. kinda like your idea with the zapper @Bill Bauer :D i Probably wouldn't try it lol. And while I'm here, my father is a welder, and he worked a lot of his life in very noisy environments, he's a little bit deafened but not much, and has no T.. When he was younger he was in the army, and partied a lot (clubs etc).. i find it amazing how he doesn't have it, and i have it after a single rave :) Tinnitus is a strange thing.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      But but... The Reddit Tinnitus Cure!?!

/s

• Like Like x 1
    17. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Everything about reddit is garbage no surprise they would think this is a fix-all for tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Today I experienced my first "residual inhibition".
      The train conductor didn't think twice while he blew on his whistle as loud as possible one meter from my ear.
      After the initial scare my tinnitus level was definitely lower than average.
      So I know now from own experience that residual inhibition can work.

Makes me more confident that if and when hair cell regeneration is possible, tinnitus could well be effected positively.
      But that is not for this thread.

19. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      Id NOT do this. It sounds like classic internet trolling.

If loud sounds could cure T, anyone with it who wore earplugs to a rave would be cured - yet Richie Hawtin still has tinnitus. so... yeah.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      How's your H and distorsion those days? Are you getting better ?

21. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for asking.
      Unfortunately the distortion is still there. My impression is that it has not improved.
      Because of the distortion I am simply hard of hearing. I feel that in this last year this worsened. I was hoping my brain would get better in filling in words I do not understand during a conversation. It seems to go the other way. (Or my hearing is deteriorating even further).
      Hyperacusis is still there and also not improving a lot.

22. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I wouldnt try that

23. Raggs
      Amazed

Raggs Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Ok, I have to share...one day when I was driving, I felt like I was going crazy, so I sorta screamed/yelled/hollered while coincidentally cupping my ear and part of my mouth, so that my voice accidentally reverberated right into my ear and it was quite LOUD...It was a bit of a shock, but the noise went waaaaay down for awhile. So now, sometimes in my car I will reenact this strange event when I'm searching for any kind of relief. The longer I "howl"..lol..the longer and better the relief...So now I'm wondering if there is something to this possible "loud noise remedy"...?

• Like Like x 1