Opiates for Chronic 24/7 Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Charles_T, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Charles_T
      Insomnious

Charles_T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity or Benzo Withdrawal
      Has anyone had success with treating their tinnitus with opiates?

I have read some cultures used opiates in ancient times and I have also had some success with it so far but it also has its own unpleasant side effects after a few days.

Wanted to see if I’m the only one who has had success with it?

I have bad chronic tinnitus and it seems to be the only thing that works for me.

2. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I don't know what to think about it since opiates are either banned or highly regulated in France. May I ask where do you come from ?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Charles_T
      Insomnious

Charles_T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Frédéric the U.S. I only am talking of legal prescriptions and not proposing others to use it but it occasionally gives me complete silence in both ears for the rest of the day. They cause sleeping problems though which can make T worse the next day so it's not an everyday solution

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Opiates in general become less effective the more often they are used, and are also associated with hearing damage and hearing loss over a long period of use. Given how controversial they are even for really severe pain conditions (which they have a much better track record for treating), I'd be pretty surprised if there's much research into this area.

That doesn't necessarily mean that this isn't a viable option for some tiny fraction of the tinnitus population, but it does mean it's a perilous path and one that you'll probably have to explore on your own, if you can find a supportive (and somewhat cowboy) doctor who wants to feel it out with you.

@Charles_T I'm curious which drug or drugs specifically you're talking about; there are a lot of pharmacological and metabolic differences between, say, laudanum or morphine and oxycodone. My personal experience is that narcotics across the board tend to have little to no impact on the perception of the sound, but make me care about it a lot less. Sometimes it seems like there has been a dramatic volume reduction a day or two later, but it never lasts, and sometimes there is a rebound for a week or so afterwards, where volume may be worse. I haven't explored this in much detail, because I tend to only rely on narcotics for incapacitating physical pain which has been a thankfully rare experience...

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Opiates can certainly be used to end tinnitus For Good right then and there...

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Charles_T
      Insomnious

Charles_T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @linearb i sometimes take oxycodone which I have prescription for a physical injury. It sometimes silenced the noise for A Few hours but the T always comes back. It also makes sleeping harder which as we know can make symptoms flare the next day so basically is a double edged sword

• Like Like x 1
    7. Trisha7446

Trisha7446 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic body pain/ Neck area chronic pain
      I would say it isn’t working then and these drugs your talking about are highly addictive, I also have what they call chronic pain syndrome and Tinnitus I’ve taken Norcos and they do not work! I do not feel at all they are going to help Tinnitus for anyone they just cause bowel problems and other bad side affects some have had that I know of...

8. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      When I was being diagnosed for OC, I had an operation to take biopsies from my pelvic and abdomen areas. The general anesthetic knocked my tinnitus out--or I was so out of it that I didn't notice it. :) My doc gave me Percocet--which is oxy (an opioid) and Tylenol for the pain. I noticed that it too knocked out my tinnitus but I couldn't function and I felt wrong--stoned--when the pain alleviated enough I started taking Advil and my tinnitus returned but at least I could function and make sense. From a script for 30 pills, I still have 24. I don't think opiates are the answer if one wants to be able to function. Opioids have many bad side effects and are seriously addictive, too many downsides. This is just my opinion.