Opioids in the Management of Hyperacusis/Pain

Discussion in 'Support' started by 3ri0w, Feb 1, 2017.

1. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      What do you think

2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      If people worry so much about benzo dependence, then this takes it a bridge too far.

3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I wouldnt do it. Drugs can have unpredictable neurological effects, and H is already messy enough by itself..

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How do you cope with pain?

5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Time, silence, good food, a bit of exercise.. there is no specific medication or drugs for H. What works (partially) for others may not work for you, but stuffing yourself with drugs can probably make matters worse.

• Useful Useful x 1
    6. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yea! I saw that on facebook and that's why I made this thread lol :p

Just curious if those new drugs will affect tinnitus? Since some opioids seem to aggrevate tinnitus..and some don't.
      Exciting times nonetheless :D

8. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      I have no experience with opoids, but I do with a tranquliser drug called clonazepam. And it has helped temporarily a lot.

I have had H 21 years and for 95% of the time my H has been tolerable. But I have had many minor and major setbacks, and am having a major one now. When that happens, once in a while, I take from 1 to 2 mg of clonazepam and it actually diminished my sensitivity to sound for a few hours. Blessed relief. And it gives me hope that I can get better, better than just knowing intellectually that I have gotten better in the past. Let me stress that , unlike alcool which anaesthesises, this drug actually affects the H directly. Of course, there is risk involved since someone can become dependent. I never have though.

For more on the pros and cons of clonazepam, see the other thread here started by Cora: "New to the forum; hello bonjour".

Marco

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How come it helps for "a few hours"? I thought clonazepam lasts a long time

10. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3riOw:

Well clonazepam just lasts a few hours with me.

• Like Like x 1
    11. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think the therapeutic window is a lot shorter than the actual half-life. It can be detected for a long time, but the peak (usable) level still passes quite quickly, as with other benzos but the metabolites linger.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eh, I don't know about that. I've detoxed from both and benzos are vastly worse. I've also known a couple heroin addicts who have told me with a straight face that they consider valium way too dangerous to mess with.

I also think the overall risks of long-term use of either of these classes of drugs are in some ways overstated. That is, there is some minority of users who have severe problems withdrawing.

I know a number of people who have been using benzos daily for decades without problem, and I have a close family member who had to take high doses of narcotics for a few years to deal with neurological pain from Lyme infection; she was able to then withdraw, slowly, without anything too bad happening.

Of course, there is likely to eventually be a price to be paid for chronic consumption of any drug -- but it is a calculus. If you can very significantly improve your quality of life for some extended period of time, then you might not really care about what happens 20-30 years down the line.

To the question in this thread: my personal experience was that regular consumption of very moderate, prescribed doses of opioids led to very unpleasant mood and personality changes in a relatively short period of time, so I don't think that this approach would work for me. Benzos, on the other hand, I was able to consume for years without any significant problems beyond mild impairment of long-term memory -- but when I decided to get off of them, there was hell to pay. That said, I have considered reinstating many times, because overall my life was a lot more comfortable on benzos than it has been since.

13. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Have to agree with you on that one. In the end, sensible use of drugs to fix ruined quality of life against misery but drug-free....I know where I'd go.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      yeah, that's sort of my thinking these days, I may eat crow and just hop back on benzos at some point.

15. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Y'all makin' me scairt with all this benzo flip-out talk :eek::)

16. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One factor no one has mentionned about benzos is possible depression resulting from the regular slowing down of the nervous system.

Marco

17. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise impact/maybe seaborn
      I was on painkillers (Tramadol) for kidney stones but it really had a positive impact for tolerating tinnitus. I continued using Tramadol for my Tinnitus for 12 months and I can heartily recommend it if you believe you can manage addictive substances. If you've beaten an addiction like caffeine or alcohol then Tramadol won't be an issue for you. Despite it being an opiate, for me Tramadol was less addictive than chocolate.

With that said, the effectivity of Tramadol on each dose decreases. Using it only on those severely bad days, you'll get 12 months of coping, which for many of you will buy back a lot of your life.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What do you mean 12 months :D

19. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Every time you use Tramadol its effectivity drops. After taking it lots of times its effectiveness reaches near zero. For me, Tramadol lasted 12 months before it hit that point of uselessness. It's reasonable to assume that so long as it's not abused it that anyone else would similarly get 12 months of improved tolerance to tinnitus.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ah I see!

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi! Got me thinking. Tramadol acts on serotonin receptors too..
      1) Have you tried regular SSRI medication..?
      2) Or is it the pain killing properties that quieten the T down?
      3) Have you tried other painkillers than Tramadol?
      4) Did Tramadol help you with hyperacusis too?

22. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No. Not yet.

Yes for the most part. It dulls the sound and makes it more tolerable to listen to.

I haven't tried any other painkillers. I do however take Temazepam which is also an opiate sleeping pill which I combine it with vitamin b6 (vitamin b6 impacts the nervous system). This combination gives me an additional tinnitus free day during the week. I feel that my particular flavour of tinnitus is nervous system orientated so I have low expectations that this combination would work for other people.

I haven't used it in bad hyperacusis days. Cognitive based Training (CBT) has helped me tremendously on that front.