Orange Glasses for Blocking Blue Light to Help with Sleep Problems — Any Experiences?

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Thomas_83, Feb 23, 2022.

1. Thomas_83

Thomas_83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      In 2020, some Norwegian researchers did a study on orange glasses with a blue light filter and found that they could help with sleep problems. It became clear that they provided better sleep, and prevented mental disorders such as bipolar disorder.

Anybody have experience with these glasses?

Can I just use orange protective goggles or do I have to buy special glasses?

2. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Yes, the glasses really help me calm down significantly sometimes. I would recommend the ones that block out most blue light and are comfortable to wear and suggest to put them on a couple of hours before bed at first to see if that helps. You can experiment to see what's best for you.

3. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      This may be the case, but a lot more research needs to be done. It also could be because our main exposure to blue light is usually from a computer and smart phone screen, and we know for sure that getting on the computer before going to bed can cause sleep disturbances due to the brain stimulation. It keys up our neural pathways. Not the best thing for falling asleep or staying asleep.

4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I use glasses with a blue light filter which, in theory, is better for screen use. I don't know why you refer to "orange glasses" though.

I usually sleep fine so I cannot report about any benefits in that regard. As for the blue light filter, to be honest, I don't like and when I get new lenses I will remove that filter. At the beginning it gave me a bit of a headache and later I got used to it but I do not notice any benefit... and the lenses were a bit more expensive.