Otomagnetics — A New Drug Delivery System for the Inner and Middle Ear

Discussion in 'Research News' started by WickedCarnival, Oct 5, 2018.

1. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Free masons were knocked out of power and now we can proceed with curing every ailment in the body, cyborgs, and spatial/oceanic colonization. Once we're done curing ourselves, we can cure the universe.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Tau
      Probing

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2019-Concert, 2021-headphones/acoustic trauma at 110dB,16kHz
      I see a few issues with this approach.

First, the magnetic NPs, even though they claim they are biodegradable, may be toxic. I have worked with nanoparticles (and even magnetic NPs), and you don't want them inside you most of the time. I wonder how they made the magnetic ones biodegradable, if they likely contain iron oxide.

Second, this will require an intratympanic injection anyway. So I would like to see a comparison with a slow release gel (Otonomy and Frequency Therapeutics approaches).

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      How will it require an injection anyway? The whole point of this is that it can penetrate the ear drum and round window without an injection.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. Tau
      Probing

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2019-Concert, 2021-headphones/acoustic trauma at 110dB,16kHz
      You need the fluid with the MNPs inside your middle ear for the particles to diffuse along a B field gradient.

Edit: If you have no liquid in your middle ear, the particles which had just been transported through the tympanic membrane will simply get stuck to any wet surface and that's it really.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. Bunz

Bunz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I've been trying to find any news on this project but all the stuff I was able to find dates back to late 2020.

Is the project dead? Are they just staying quiet?

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing damage, ear infections
      I haven't found anything about it either, I wouldn't get your hopes up for this project to be honest.

However, according to this review article published last year, "Many new drug delivery systems specifically for the inner ear are under development or undergoing clinical studies."

I haven't read the article very carefully but these new drug delivery systems might provide promising avenues for drug treatments of tinnitus and hyperacusis.

Local Delivery of Therapeutics to the Cochlea Using Nanoparticles and Other Biomaterials