Ototoxic Inactive Ingredients in Mouthwash/Toothpaste — Tinnitus/Hearing Safety?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jaysterk, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      For those of us with ototoxic Induced tinnitus, we tend to be extra careful on what we put on and intake into our bodies.

Has anyone ever had any spikes from certain types Mouthwash/Toothpastes?

I did a bit of research and the Active ingredients in most Mouthwashes/Toothpaste is Sodium Fluoride. I can’t find any connection to tie it to ototoxicity.

Inactive ingredients however do seem to have some connections, particularly these: Xylitol, methyl salicylate, and propylene glycol.

Does anyone know if inactive ingredients present a danger in the form of ototoxicity?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. LateNightArt
      Wishful

LateNightArt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD
      I don't know about the other ingredients but propylene glycol shouldn't be an issue unless applied directly into the ear, which is why it is no longer used in ear drops I'm pretty sure. My e-cigarette juice has a small amount of it but I go through a lot so I probably consume quite a bit more that what is in toothpaste and have had no issues.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      Interesting. I guess it doesn't leave us much choice other than not brushing our teeth. They all have it lol.