Ototoxic Tinnitus Recovery (Cause of Tinnitus: Venlafaxine i.e. Effexor)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nick in az, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Nick in az

Nick in az Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Had this wonderful gift for just over 3 months now, July 21st to be exact. Came from use of Effexor, which I have not taken in 6 weeks I would say, maybe slightly less. Anyone have any knowledge about the potential full recovery from drug induced tinnitus being? I know it is the lesser and more likely to clear up of the two main causes. The other being noise induced. Have done a little research but am curious as to what others may have experienced or know about the likelihood of full recovery.

Tinnitus generally only bothers me greatly in the morning except on days like today where I can't stop focusing on it. I hope you all are managing well! There's hope for us all! Stay strong!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I think it depends on how much damage was done. Did you loose any hearing? I was put on Effexor for tinnitus which made my tinnitus way worse. I'm only off just recently, I'm hoping it can calm down some over the next year or so.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick in az

Nick in az Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      My hearing is above average still. No damage done in ear itself. I'm sorry you have to struggle as I do. Gets easier though. How are you managing?

4. Thericker

Thericker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2010
      Hey Nick,

I got the gift after being treated with antibiotics for meningitis. After 4 months it completely disappeared. Hoping the same for you.

• Like Like x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick in az

Nick in az Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      I hope you are right! That would be glorious. Is it gone, or just un noticeable?

6. JohnK
      Busy

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015 (habituated) 5/13/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline (2015) Otimize ear drops [neomycin] (2019)
      What miracle antibiotics were these??

7. krazyjim

krazyjim Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after Meningitis (brain bacteria infection)
      Also got Tinnitus after being treated with antibiotics for meningitis. Noticed you said it went away in four months. I am looking forward to that!

Any insight on how to manage in the meantime would be greatly appreciated!

8. Davechurcher

Davechurcher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Effexor widthdrawl
      Hey lads
      I was on Effexor for mild anxiety for 1.5 years. Started to come off it a few weeks back. Got tinnitus as a little New Year's Day gift just before my last lowest dose to finish. Insane ringing now. Doctor checked my ears to day found no issue with hearing etc. he suspects it will disappear after a week or so once the drug is completely out my system.
      Fingers crossed! I'll keep you updated

9. kevino

kevino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Effexxor
      Bad news here got it from Effexor in 2008, still have it. Also, high frequency hearing loss.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Lesly

Lesly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20 August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      @kevino was your high frequency hearing loss detected by an Audiogram or an OAE? I also developed tinnitus from taking anti HIV meds for 28 days. My Audiogram results are perfect in all frequencies but the OAE shows damage at 6khz and 8khz. I'm still hopeful that i will recover. It's been 1month since I stopped the medication.

11. LeonO

LeonO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly Propofil
      Effexor is an anxiolytic so I am presuming it's being prescribed to deal with the anxiety around having tinnitus. I had a bad experience with Effexor after taking it for numerous years. I have also read that it can cause tinnitus and I believe it has something to do with my current tinnitus condition.

12. Kromi

Kromi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nine years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Any success stories to share? Any improvement since your last post?