Outer Ear Canal Feels Infected

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mandalay, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Mandalay
      Curious

Mandalay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi guys,

to make a long story short, for many weeks I've been doing so much better with my tinnitus and hyperacusis, especially my hyperacusis. My hyperacusis was the reason I came to this forum weeks ago.

Well, what I did differently was I protected my ears more with earplugs and also I drank a teaspoon of DMSO mixed with a glass of water before bedtime. I'm assuming you already know about DMSO, in Germany it's popular these days. I don't know if the DMSO helped, or if it was something else, I'm mentioning it just because it could be interesting. In case you want to try it it's important to say that you should never ever let DMSO get in contact with plastic. No plastic spoon, cup or anything like that.

But - now I'm sitting here, it's 2.30 am and I'm feeling pain in the outer ear canal of my right ear.
      It started last week, but I did not take it seriously, I thought it would go away. Now I'm feeling that it is hurting more and getting more serious.

I was on the bicycle today, enjoyed the wind around my ears, I thought it will help to heal my ear canal, making the ear more dry, or whatever. I wore no earplugs and did not put anything in the ear, no medicine or anything else.

I guess my immune system was low the last two weeks because of stress at work, then sometimes I put earplugs in my ears shortly after shower and left the house... I guess that caused it.

Well, now it really hurts and it hasn't improved, maybe the wind made it even worse.

I could rush to the emergency tomorrow, but also I'm scared of getting ototoxic ear drops or an ENT wants to syringe my ear or something like that. It might sound funny but I'm scared.
      I read so many horror stories in here about ear ear syringing...

*Puh*, what am I doing now? I hope I can sleep.

Should I just try to get some eardrops at the pharmacy tomorrow?
      Go to the emergency? Or to the ENT on Monday?

Or try to let it heal by itself?

I hope I can sleep and hope you guys can give me some advice...
      It hurts as if the bike ride (wind) made it worse, jeez...

Thanks,
      Mandalay

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Go see a doctor.
      If you have an outer ear infection, you will probably be given antibiotic drops.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Three weeks ago, I had had similar symptoms. I had some Amoxicillin pills left from a previous prescription. My ear infection began to clear soon after I began taking those pills. It is my understanding that Amoxicillin is one of the least ototoxic antibiotics...

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mandalay
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi Greg,

Yeah I will, I feel a lot better than yesterday and calmer also, tomorrow is Monday then I'm
      going to see a doctor,

Thanks,
      Mandalay

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mandalay
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi Bill,

thanks, I guess yesterday I just panicked because of the pain in my ear, it feels a lot better today.

So I sat there and all the horror stories and "what ifs" came into my mind.

I guess the infection is not that bad, it already improved from yesterday to today.

I guess I overdid it last time when trying to relax my ear, I did not think about that the ears have to be dry when inserting earplugs, I guess that caused it. I went to shower, drove off to work wearing earplugs and my ears were still wet. Also my immune system was low because of stress at work, so no wonder that happened. I'm on holiday now, tomorrow I can take the time and go to the ENT.
      And even if they want to do something I don't want them to, I can always say no.

And yeah, the amoxicillin, I used that many times when I had middle ear infection, it really works well and was not ototoxic to me.

Thanks a lot,

Mandalay

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mandalay
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi guys,

This is just a small update. Everything went fine, what felt to me like an infection of the ear canal was just that I crunched my teeth too much at night. I was at the ENT and he checked everything carefully.

Too much stress at work lately, but now I'm on holiday and can relax.
      Also I ordered a thing, I cannot find the translation for that, to cover the teeth at night to prevent crunching and use CBD oil to relax further.

Mandalay