Over Twenty Years of Tinnitus — It's Getting Worse

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by BarryJ, Aug 10, 2021.

1. BarryJ

BarryJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2000 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all.

I first had tinnitus in my right ear after getting an ear infection in 1994, the sound was a low vibration which I could also feel. Noise or an earplug would mask it and it eventually disappeared after 6 years.

Around this time I started noticing a hissing noise in my head on the left side. It wasn't too bad. Nothing masks it as it is always above any external noise. This has gradually got louder over the years.

Up to about 2 years ago I could wake in the night and it would be almost non existent but always return on wakening. Alcohol would also quieten it but of course it would be worse the next day.

In the past few weeks things have ramped up, it's the loudest it's been and there is no respite because it is always above any other noise. Nothing masks it; like a severe head cold.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @BarryJ, sorry to read you're having problems. But welcome to the forum. I found that tinnitus has a mind of its own. Over the years I've had many spikes. I pray for better treatments or cure. Be hopeful and ride it out.

• Like Like x 3
    3. SD7
      Angry

SD7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mid /June 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine + Noise
      BarryJ sorry to hear about your struggles. I wish we both could have so called regular maskable tinnitus. If possible, on YouTube experiment with different color noises from white noise to brown noise and see if any of them can mask them.

I hope it weakens like your first bout.

• Like Like x 2