Painkillers That Are Good to Take with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jer, Aug 21, 2017.

1. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      So there are loads of medications that we can't take because of the dangers of ototoxicity, such as I believe paracetamol.

What are some painkillers that we can't take and have no effect at all on tinnitus?

• Like Like x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Anyone at all?

3. Charles_T
      Insomnious

Charles_T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity or Benzo Withdrawal
      @jer I find norcos help sometimes. Be careful though as they are listed as ototoxic. My tinnitus is so bad to be honest I would try anything though.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is my understanding that Tylenol is not supposed to be ototoxic.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Charles_T
      Insomnious

Charles_T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bill Bauer @jer Good to know and even better than as a medicine. I think Norcos help me a lot they say my tinnitus and hearing loss is due to the auditory nerve being damaged so it would make sense since they help dull the nerves. My doctor will only give me enough to help for a few hours but having a break from suffering for a few hours is the only thing keeping me going at this point since the tinnitus isn't just annoying or a noise its actually painful as well. I think both of you will agree. I have tried a lot of different medications and found opiates to be very useful in treating and even silencing the tinnitus.
      Best of Luck!

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Charles_T
      Insomnious

Charles_T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bill Bauer When I was in the hospital and got the tinnitus and hearing loss they had me on outrageous amounts of Ativan and then quite cold turkey. I heard a Pop in my left ear upon arriving home. I read the list you posted and am starting to think that may have been the actual cause of my tinnitus instead of the encephalitis. Do you think that would damage the inner ear cells or the nerve and would there be any chance of reversal or most likely permanent since I have had it for 5 months. I didn't take any more Ativan since but still have been on Xanax? The ENT which I have found mostly don't know anything said it was impossible but I'm really thinking the Ativan was what did it since my hearing loss is bilateral?

Thanks for the great link! Very much appreciated!

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Did you begin hearing T soon after you began taking Ativan? Or did it happen when you quit taking Ativan?

9. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      When it comes to painkillers or other medications everyone is different. Patient A may be fine with one drug, where patient B has a problem. Patient A may have a problem with another drug, where patient B does not have a problem.

For those with tinnitus, it's often about how drugs will affect hearing.

According to Konrad Konradsson, a Swedish audiologist, painkillers with acetyl saticylic acid are not advised for those with tinnitus. Many other medical professionals across the net agree, but also maybe consideration should be given to next paragraph.

No one ready knows what medication may be OK or not for a certain person. All one can do is play the odds. Researching the class of drugs for a particular use should be done. Consider tinnitus against age, gender, usage term, and amount of dose. Generics are usually listed as safer, but that's a blanket medication statement.

After research, a personnel list of conditions considered against the above paragraph, a list of drugs that could be more acceptable or fine from experience should be kept in wallet or purse. I often use Drug.com as one source of assistance.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Charles_T
      Insomnious

Charles_T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bill Bauer My Tinnitus started the day after I left the hospital and ended the Ativan. They had been giving me massive doses of Ativan in the hospital the whole time I was there. I had good hearing and no tinnitus up until this point then bam tinnitus came on strong. I still have been taking Xanax and would quite in a heartbeat if I thought there was a chance the tinnitus could go away

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This reminds me of a post by someone who had been taking Proscar (to prevent hair-loss) for years, and then stopped taking it very suddenly. He got tinnitus...

12. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Does paracetamol contain acetyl saticylic.
      Which painkillers do not contain it?

13. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Great info Greg.
      I don’t see Paracetamol on there, so would that perhaps be the safest when pain relief is needed?

15. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Jazzer Paracetamol Of 39,207 reports, only 99 reported tinnitus or 0.25%. That's low in comparison to many medications.

There's no reporting of tinnitus after one month's use. All 99 reporting T, said it happened within 30 days.

The age group where most of the 99 came from is 40-49. Less than for age 50 - 65 and older. Most drugs affect the 50 -65+ more, this drug does not. This medication is used for borderline personality, gingivitis and arthritis. There is other interactions on the label. Source: Drug.com

• Informative Informative x 1
    16. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thanks again Greg - probably the safest bet then..

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Jazzer Going to try Pacactamol. Need something for my body pains. Thanks for the conversations.

• Like Like x 1
    18. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I take Tylenol when I've got a fever; chronic use causes hearing loss, but I don't think taking it a few times a year is a concern.

Other then that, on the rare occasions that I've got such severe pain that I need to take anything, I use opium because it's highly effective and has a 2000+ year history of human use, unlike more or less anything you can buy at the drug store.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      Tylenol for me when necessary. During spikes I usually end up with a headache probably caused by the stress and tension from anxiety. Tylenol takes care of it for me.

• Like Like x 1