Paper Patching of the Tympanic Membrane as a Treatment for Patulous Eustachian Tube Syndrome

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RonT, Oct 12, 2015.

1. RonT

RonT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 months
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24565065

ABSTRACT
      Background:
      Application of one or several paper patches on the tympanic membrane can improve autophony and other symptoms in some patients with a patulous eustachian tube.

Method:
      The charts of 21 patients treated for patulous eustachian tube syndrome between 2006 and 2011 were studied for subjective improvement of symptoms following the application of paper patches.

Results:
      Paper patching of the tympanic membrane provided symptomatic relief in 76.2 per cent of patients; relief was permanent in 50 per cent of these patients.

Conclusion:
      Paper patching of the tympanic membrane is a simple and effective means of temporarily or permanently alleviating patulous eustachian tube syndrome symptoms. It is postulated that the patches decrease the admittance of low- to mid-frequency acoustic input at the tympanic membrane
      by increasing the stiffness of the tympanic membrane, thereby counteracting the middle-ear cushion effect caused by the open eustachian tube.

Paper patching of the tympanic membrane as a symptomatic treatment for patulous Eustachian tube syndrome -

2. Jay_Dee63

Jay_Dee63 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      That's interesting information. I used to get a tube put into my ear for patulous Eustachian tube syndrome, and it would relieve the symptoms. A patch would have been a lot easier. I'll have to show my doctor this if I ever have symptoms again.

• Like Like x 1
    3. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:

How this disorder can be diagnosed? Is tympanometry always solution to diagnose?

Thanks

4. Jay_Dee63

Jay_Dee63 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      For myself, my ear would pop as I breathed in and out of my nose. I could hear my breaths inside my ear, had ear fullness, and my inner ear felt like it was vibrating when I'd talk. This would cause me to stutter sometimes. The doctor was able to definitively diagnose my condition by being able to see my eardrum move in and out as I breathed through my nose.

I had a tube put into my ear two or three times to alleviate the symptoms. It worked instantly each time. The last time I had a tube put into my ear, my symptoms did not come back after the tube came out on its own. That was a few years ago. I'm not sure if there are other ways to treat the condition. Having a tube placed into my ear was the only option my doctor presented me with.

• Useful Useful x 1
    5. Irish

Irish Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music from nightclub
      Hi Jay_Dee63, this procedure you're referring to, is it using a grommet for the affected ear? Or was it some other kind of tube? I have PET and am looking for ways to at least relieve it if not resolve it. Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.