Paranoid About Meds...

Discussion in 'Support' started by MattK, Mar 22, 2014.

1. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Hi all, I am about to have my wisdom teeth removed soon. My dentists (supposedly) thinks there is a chance that my tinnitus might be due to my impacted wisdom teeth. Quite honestly, I'm not holding my breath for that one... but what does have me paranoid is all the meds I'll be put on afterwards. I know some meds can cause tinnitus, and even though I already have it, I certainly don't want to make anything worse.

Should I just try to tough it out and not take any of the drugs? I'm not even sure if the ones I'll be prescribed can cause it or not.

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
    3. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Had my wisdom teeth removed after getting tinnitus. Had one ENT suggest it may help but it didn't have any effect really, but it sure did ease the pain I was having for years because they were so badly impacted!

I was an idiot and somehow I ended up with an infection. Make sure you follow the instructions they give you for post-operative care, the pain of the infection was brutal. Anyway had to go on an antibiotic, augmentin duo (amoxcillin + clavulanate), which I've been on a few times now and never have any problems with in regard to tinnitus. Also had to take a mix of paracetamol, codeine and doxylamine succinante. No effect on my tinnitus, and I was on these for a good week or two. If you don't end up with an infection, I doubt you'll end up needing anything more than some paracetamol or ibuprophen.

So yeah, you'll be fine! Good luck with the removal!

4. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      There are two ways to remove wisdom teeth: pull them out or crush them with a "hammer and chisel". The latter option is typically done when the teeth are not in the right position. This is how I had my two left wisdom teeth removed. The noise from the operation can basically be heard all the way to the street...! I am not exaggerating. If more than one wisdom tooth is pulled out at a time, the operation is generally done under full anesthesia (mine were done with local anesthesia). Wisdom tooth removal is generally done by a dentist surgeon and not a regular dentist.

When it comes to medication, there is nothing to worry about; no relevant ototoxicity. However, dentists/dentist surgeons are generally sissies when it comes to handing out pain medication and will not prescribe anything stronger than 600mg ibuprofen tablets. This is adequate to get by during the day, but for sleeping something such as 30mg codeine or 50mg tramadol + ibuprofen is necessary.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      I'm going to have to be put under, and my teeth are impacted so I'm sure he's going to have to do his worst. Do you think I would have anything to worry about? I'm not sure how that works with the noise while put under.

6. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      It is beyond my capability to answer that question. Raise your concerns with your dentist beforehand. Possibly wear earplugs. My advice.