Participant Experience: Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS) Paired With Tones for Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by labrat10687, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      You do not listen to white noise in this treatment.....

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @BrStan@ U are right (I was scepticle abt whole that idea and whole mechanicsm of neudromodultion, since start of talking here 3, 4 yeas ago) But as I know because of that trials level of Neuromodultion that was almost same as placebo results, Neuromodulation has canceled as product. They could not get to the market. So, if VNS wants to hit the market they have to have trials and some good results. Right?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. BrStan@

BrStan@ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma

Agree. Playing tones lower and higher than your t and stimulating the nerve with electrical current will lower ones t doesn't make any sense to me. Reducing T intensity and creating a drug or procedures for that will not be in my life time. I am on my 36 now. They need to figure out how and why it starts. And when they find that model they could start working on a strategies attacking it's components. But for my own observation they don't do that what they do is hit and miss. Because they don't know the t origin they play a lottery.
      And yes dear markoana if they want to hit the market they need to show the world if they guessed the right numbers.

4. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Pessimist as usual

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      I'm a strong believer in serendipity....so you do not really "need" to know the cause to get a treatment. History is full of inventions/discoveries that where made more or less as an happy accident.

Read this artical:
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3508154/

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Electrical stimulation has a bright future, if u have 10 min just look at this,
      Deep Brain Stimulation Surgery to treat...
      . I was really delighted after seeing this results, also watched same treatment for treamor, tourette syndrom etc... It si more than promising!

It look incredible but it works!

• Like Like x 1
    7. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      This fuckin condition shouldnt even exist.

• Agree Agree x 9
    8. monacco

monacco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anknown
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      I'm doing the tVNS from http://www.tinnitustreatmentcentre.com/ with notched sound. I just started it and I do it for about a week now. The weirdest thing after every 2 hour therapy is that my T is lower for sure but the somatic noise of turning my neck or clenching my jaw is 99% gone. As if my nervous system is calmed due to the tVNS device.
      I'm just a week in, and I will stick to the program and do it every day minimum of 2 hours a day. I know it will not get rid of my T completely , but if it is getting lower I'm a happy guy!

• Like Like x 1
    10. monacco

monacco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anknown
      @RicoS

So as I see here this device reduces the noise and calms nervous system, are you sur that it's not a palcebo effect ?

11. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      I do not know yet...to early to tell, but I monitor the effect after every treatment and it is always the same. But lets not be to joyful right now and let me do this 8 - 12 weeks. Is my T lower already? I do not know...the intensity is less , but than again...it can also be placebo because you are happy to try something new.
      I keep you all posted in my progress!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. Benedikt

Benedikt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
    13. Arthur Czerniak
      Wishful

Arthur Czerniak Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music and niave
      Agreed. Why does this even exist right? fight everyday though. Just fight it. One day at a time.

• Like Like x 2
    14. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Benedikt I do not know yet for a fact...my T is way lower at for a couple of weeks only with a spike this week because I had to drill 2 holes in the wall and I thought my earplugs that I had were enough protection but it was not so my T spiked to an extreme level but settled down after a good night sleep.

I use the tVNS and my T is about 60% lower at the moment but perhaps it also because I deal with other anxiety issues that I am more focused on right now so my focus is not on my T like it is allways.

So this can mean different things...

1) tVNS works and my mind just shifted to something else to bug me with
      2) My brain think my anxiety disorder is more important than my T and is focussing on that. If that is the case that means that my brain CAN tune it out when I do not have my anxiety disorder anymore
      3) 1 and 2 both apply

What I do know for a fact : The frequency targeted with the tVNS device does not fill my head anymore (even before the new anxiety symptoms). For example...when I went in to the toilet my T was very loud and filled up my whole head. After using the tVNS for about 8 weeks...the sound was still the same but less intrusive and was more on my left side instead of my whole head. Also it seems now that the sounds comes from outside my head.....which makes it more easier to ignore because you can think about it as if some device is still on.
      Also when i used the tVNS device ...my frequency that was targeted became less loud but other tones that were not targeted came more to the forground.

As of now I will not use it anymore until my anxiety disorder is manageble because I really do not know if the progress I made with T has only become like this because of the tVNS or my brain shifting to something else making new neurologic pathways so it seems my T is less intrusive.

Also I am a hardcore BTS (back to silence) partitioner ..... I really believe this helped me a lot to. I keep talking positive to my self. Every time T bothers me I said "It's ok...I will be alright...I do not have time for you now" or I imagened a volume meter which was at max in red ...and visualize that it slowly lowers the volume and the volume meter went to green. Of course in the beginning nothing happend but the more I did this imagery trick it seemed I had more control over my T. I will NOT stop the BTS method ....because I really believe ( know ) that it works...but you have to believe that it works...If you are doing it and just say those things but deep inside you do not believe it...it will not work in my opinion.

So what is my conclusion of the tVNS device.....well still not sure.... if my T comes back to the old volume I am sure I am less stressed about it because I know it can go back to this now. But if it come back I will use the tVNS device right away and monitor its effect just like i did now.

I kept a diary of my progress but when I read it...to much has happend (ups and downs) where I can say...well it was 100% the tVNS device.

What was a 100% fact that it did change my head full of sound to a sounds that seems to come outside of my head. Even if it was just as loud the perception of something coming outside of your head instead of inside my head was a great relieve. Also when in a silent room my T cranked up in volume but over the time I used the tVNS (before i did the BTS method) it did not crank up in volume to the extreme anymore...but perhaps this also had to do with the fact that the perception of the sound is now outside of my head on the left side instead of all in my head filling up my head with this loud eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sound.

In no way did the tVNS something negative to my T....the only scare thing is that if you have used it for 2 hours straight (in my case) my T became very very very loud....but that is normal. It will go down after a few minutes. The best sound to listen to for me was nature sounds (trees in the wind) ....I could not listen to white noise for 2 hours it just was to monotoon.

If anybody has questions just ask because I typed this very quickly because I promised an update.
      I have to deal with my other anxiety disorders also and they costing me a lot of energy besides T.
      If my T stays like it is now....I could live with it without a problem. But like I said my mind has shifted to other troublesome symptoms that I really do not like and that also makes my T lower. Because it seems your brain is not that good in multitasking about stuff that bothers you. Like you mind can only have 1 or 2 things that it is bothered about and forget the 3rd for a while.

Sorry if I am not totaly clear about the tVNS but I try to be as honest as possible.
      Did my T became less in this period I used it ............YES FOR A FACT....perhaps 50% to 60%.....
      Is it all because of the tVNS device.....I do not know. I have had 2.3 years hardcore T and this year it became worse and worse and since i did the tVNS and BTS method and got new anxiety disorder symptoms it became lower in volume. That is all i can say. If I know more I will post it hear. What does happen now is that T is not 100% on my mind anymore.....

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Funny Funny x 1
    15. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      Neuromodulation is sold a lot, but people trow it in garbage, it is up to 10khz. It is not medicine therefore need not patent and right to be sold.

16. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      it is same as HIFU, totaly same:

Tony can drink from his cup for the first time...

17. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      @RicoS

what tVNS device are you using?

18. monacco

monacco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anknown
    19. monacco

monacco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anknown
    20. Maarten

Maarten Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1991
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it's genetic.
      This looks so promising! Anyone got any updates on this?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    21. Karrie

Karrie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2 9 /15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental visit
      When will this treatment be offered in the US?

22. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      This had a clinical trial back in April last year at 4 sites in the US. They said results would be in by late 2015. They never posted them. Now they're saying results will be posted this spring.

• Informative Informative x 3
    23. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      So isn't it already spring time? Bring them!

24. Jason_Cohen

Jason_Cohen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      After the results are released, there is going to be another clinical trial in the US (I'm assuming it will be in the US.) They have said they are looking to release it in Europe, this year most likely. It probably won't be out in the US for a few years.

25. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      Hmm. I'm from Europe but I wonder why they won't release it at the same time all over the world.

26. Jason_Cohen

Jason_Cohen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I've been curious about this. The only thing I can think of is that medical devices/treatments require more clinical trials to be approved in the US.

27. kay1864

kay1864 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What were the four sites? I only heard about the one at UT-Dallas.

28. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      not sure...i know Detroit was one.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Eduardo Neves

Eduardo Neves Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to noise
      labrat10687Member u are ok? alive? some news?

God bless u

30. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      And this is summer now..

Will there any news for this study actually?