Passive or Active Noise Cancelling/Isolation?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ed209, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Ive got a couple of questions that some of you guys could help out with:

Do you think passive noise isolation headphones would be a better for a long haul flight?

Can you use your own headphones on a flight?

I was going to get some active noise cancelling ones like the Bose quiet comforts, but I've been put off by some of the things I've read on here. Even though I don't personally believe they would have any negative effect, I'm leaning on playing it safe and getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 280's, which provide 32db of passive noise reduction.

Any advice here would be appreciated.

• Creative Creative x 1
    2. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Passive noise reduction is the way to go. The active "noise canceling" does not do anything to protect your hearing. When I fly I just use ear muffs over top of my ear buds to shut out all the jet sounds.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I went with the Sennheiser HD280's.

4. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I don't get it. You want to play it safe so you go for a passive protection. But HD280 = basic headphones.

"Up to 32dB" means nothing, it won't protect like a cheap passive Peltor would. If you want to listen to music while flying, big earmuffs on top of your earbuds are the way to go I think (even if I would not recommend to do this to a T and/or H sufferer).

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Earbuds are a no go for me for extended periods. Over ear headphones are far superior to having something wedged in your ear canal in my opinion, and for air travel the reduction needed is modest. Active cancellation in theory should be the best as it cancels out most of the waveforms, but I've heard people saying they felt nauseous and that it affected their tinnitus. In theory I don't understand how, but I'd rather play it safe in case they are correct.

6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      FWIW, I use my Bose Quiet Comfort regularly, and they don't seem to affect my T. YMMV!

7. bekker

bekker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise / festival
      hey ed i have some questions for you. I do it this way because i can't start a private conversation with you because of the settings. some people say the active noise cancelling do nothing to protect your hearing. But i put on the expensive bose quiet comfort in the store and it seemed amazing. I wan't to buy it for long flights and the daily travels with the bus and train. Do you recommend it?

8. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I'm bumping this thread up in case anyone is willing to share more opinions on noise cancelling headphones.

I just saw a very knowledgeable tinnitus and hyperacusis doctor whose opinion is that noise cancelling headphones would calm the hyperacusis and most likely would not make the T worse. Unfortunately, my non-science-based paranoid fear about the noise cancellation mechanism somehow wreaking havoc on my brain is getting in the way of buying something that might actually be a lifesaver for upcoming airplane trips. I haven't flown since the T and really miss traveling.

Right now, my ear protection of choice is a pair of 3M Peltor Optime 98 Earmuffs. They've been amazingly helpful for walking around the city or just wearing while vacuuming or cooking, but I'd like something that would look less goofy in public.

Any recent thoughts on noise cancelling headphones? I am just gathering opinions before I go through with this purchase.

9. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Hi Ed, I wondered if you were happy with those headphones?
      I'm trying to find passive noise isolation headphones too, for a 12 hours long flight. And have you found other (cheaper?) options?

10. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      I will get Ultimate Ears Pro Custom 5, -25db noise reduction passive .. custom earplugs, at I use Zik Parrot which is acceptable good noise cancellation but big. Tried bose not my thing, the new Sony's are quite good.

11. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      Not to hijack the topic but I am getting married this year and was debating about what I should do for the honeymoon. I have both H & T. My H is on the mild side. It seems only loud sounds effect me but I have no issues driving in my car. I usually wear custom musician ear plugs (15 db filter) to get around noisey areas such as subways and restaurants. Should I be not thinking about flying due to my H symptoms?

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Were any of the people who said active noise-cancelling headphones had affected their tinnitus wearing earplugs under their headphones?

13. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)

How long is your flight? The noise in the cabin is generally not louder than in a car on the highway.

14. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well thats a TBD right now. My concern really is more about the change in pressure when go up to the high altitudes.

15. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Never had any problem with that (I took about 20 flights since I have my T and mild sensitivity to specific noises). You only feel a pressure change during the minutes when the plane goes up to reach his optimum altitude, it's not worse than when you drive along a long steep slope or go under a tunnel.

16. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      thx alot...any idea if custom musician ear plugs would be ok to wear or should i look into those specific air plane type plugs?

17. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I used to wear no protection, but now I use custom made silicon plugs (I guess they work about the same way as custom musician earplugs) and it works fine :)

18. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Would you say that custom-made plugs provide noticeably more protection (i.e., sounds are quieter) compared to the regular foam plugs?

19. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I can't tell.. I never wear foam plugs. But I have often read that they are very efficient (when inserted correctly of course)

• Like Like x 1
    20. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Once you go custom you will find peace lol In all seriousness you really want to get plugs that let sound in. Those regular foam plugs block out sound and amplify the T. Musician ear plugs are great because they let sound in. The custom plugs also have an adjustable filter so you can adjust to the type of event you are going to. Strongly suggest you get a pair.

21. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Somehow I never considered musician earplugs. At the same time, I hate having to listen to T when I am outside of my home, wearing foam plugs. Thank you very much for your suggestion!

• Like Like x 1
    22. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury