Passive or Active Noise Cancelling/Isolation?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ed209, Aug 3, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Ed209

Ed209 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Ive got a couple of questions that some of you guys could help out with:

Do you think passive noise isolation headphones would be a better for a long haul flight?

Can you use your own headphones on a flight?

I was going to get some active noise cancelling ones like the Bose quiet comforts, but I've been put off by some of the things I've read on here. Even though I don't personally believe they would have any negative effect, I'm leaning on playing it safe and getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 280's, which provide 32db of passive noise reduction.

Any advice here would be appreciated.

2. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ??/????
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Passive noise reduction is the way to go. The active "noise canceling" does not do anything to protect your hearing. When I fly I just use ear muffs over top of my ear buds to shut out all the jet sounds.

3. Ed209

Ed209 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I went with the Sennheiser HD280's.

4. Foncky
      Doubtful

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An explosion, music, and fate.
      I don't get it. You want to play it safe so you go for a passive protection. But HD280 = basic headphones.

"Up to 32dB" means nothing, it won't protect like a cheap passive Peltor would. If you want to listen to music while flying, big earmuffs on top of your earbuds are the way to go I think (even if I would not recommend to do this to a T and/or H sufferer).

5. Ed209

Ed209 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Earbuds are a no go for me for extended periods. Over ear headphones are far superior to having something wedged in your ear canal in my opinion, and for air travel the reduction needed is modest. Active cancellation in theory should be the best as it cancels out most of the waveforms, but I've heard people saying they felt nauseous and that it affected their tinnitus. In theory I don't understand how, but I'd rather play it safe in case they are correct.

6. GregCA
      Crappy

GregCA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      FWIW, I use my Bose Quiet Comfort regularly, and they don't seem to affect my T. YMMV!

7. bekker

bekker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise / festival
      hey ed i have some questions for you. I do it this way because i can't start a private conversation with you because of the settings. some people say the active noise cancelling do nothing to protect your hearing. But i put on the expensive bose quiet comfort in the store and it seemed amazing. I wan't to buy it for long flights and the daily travels with the bus and train. Do you recommend it?