Peltor Earmuffs

Discussion in 'Support' started by SugarMagnolia, Mar 7, 2018.

1. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I want to buy ear muffs, but I'm overwhelmed by all the choices I see on Amazon. At first I looked at ones described as lightweight, but when I see photos of toddlers wearing them, I think they must be too tight for an adult head.

I want good hearing protection (of course) with the lightest weight and most unobtrusive design possible. Any suggestions?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      3M is a company that I trust. Their Peltor X5A provide the most noise reduction, but are bulky enough to make you feel self-conscious when you wear them in public. Having said this, I have been wearing them in public, and the vast majority of people don't seem to pay any attention.

Peltor X4A are not as bulky, and people will most likely think that you are wearing headphones. X4A provide a little less noise protection compared to X5A.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Another consideration is that Peltor muffs supposedly have metal parts in them. So if you ever need to do an MRI, you won't be able to wear Peltor muffs during the text.

According to one user, one type of muffs are made from plastic and can be used in an MRI:

4. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I paint the white line of my x5a with a black marker and most people think those are fancy Bluetooth earphones

The other muffs will provide far less protection , better use good foam or solid silicon plugs

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks guys. I ordered a pair from 3M. If I look weird in public, so be it.

6. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      3M Peltor X5A and Heroes Extreme Protection earplugs (standard shape without foam handles) are the best combination I've found to date

7. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      The Alpine MusicSafe earmuffs are low profile and quite stylish:

05cc18fe360d70af72318f76f4023476.ua_Alpine_MusicSafe_Earmuff_head_front.jpg.jpg