Phantom Phone Tinnitus — Suicidal Feelings

Discussion in 'Support' started by CrazyMike, Apr 17, 2018.

1. CrazyMike
      Breezy

CrazyMike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9 months ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I recently got a job as a host at a restaurant 5 days ago. The phone began to ring and there was nobody around, but I didn't know what to do b/c I hadn't been trained yet for that (I learned later). It didn't sound too loud, I mean it didn't offend my ears or anything. It rang for about 45 seconds or so. When my shift ended, as I was driving home from work just thinking about things, and I noticed that I heard an exact copy of this phone. And well, it hasn't gone away. Its ever so faint, but just loud enough to where if I listen to songs, I can hear it. I know its not in my head because its the same feeling you have when you have tinnitus. What I mean is that you experience it coming from your ears and not your thoughts. If you were to place the real phone down a long hallway, have me on the other end, and then have the phone ring and ask me which is the real phone, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

On top of that, my boyfriend of 4 years left me and I lost 5 close friends of 10 years from drama related to that. I've hit rock bottom and I'm supposed to turn 30 in a month.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Give it some time. Some of these weird behaviors (like spikes, etc) tend to fade out with time and you end up going back to your baseline.

Your boyfriend + friends situation makes it harder on you for sure, but hang on because while there is no cure for T yet, there are plenty of success stories for "my boyfriend left me".

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @CrazyMike The following is according to Tim Griffiths professor of cognitive neurology at Newcastle University.
      "Ninety percent of those with hearing loss experience hearing music. This happens when there's no activity in the primary auditory cortex - the area close to the ear where sound signals are normally received and then send further into the brain to be processed. In absence of sound the brain fills the gap by turning to sound memory for stimulation."

When you are able, try to play some pink sounds - rain, waterfall or stream.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrazyMike
      Breezy

CrazyMike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9 months ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Well the thing is that its always a replica of something I hear, but its randomly selective and so I can never tell which sounds are going to be imprinted. Its never anything random, always something I've heard in the past. I have like 20 sounds or so that I can manifest if I focus on them, like any tinnitus. I always have several high pitched sounds going on as well. I will certainly take your advice though and listen to something like a stream.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1