Pillow Popped My Ear? Help?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Layla23, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
      Hey everyone. Sorry that I’ve been posting a lot lately but my tinnitus and hyperacusis are at catastrophic levels so I’m trying my best to not make it worse.

This morning, I had my head on my pillow and it somehow created pressure between my ear and the pillow. It almost made a vacuum...so that when I lifted my ear it made a huge POP and my ear started to ring so LOUD. This has happened before but my ear never rang like that afterwards. The ear ringing subsided almost immediately but my ear had a weird sensation and when I swallowed it would make really weird sounds (never happened to me before) almost as if something got kinda moved around.

My ear feels fine now but should I get steroids?

2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Layla,

I wouldn't take the steroids. I can't see how your incident with the pillow would damage your hair cells.

It is good to hear your ear is settling down. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry. I really don't think you've done any permanent damage. Just given you a fright. X

3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      yes get a steroid, you have hearing damage

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
      To this day I have never found an ENT willing to give me steroids for noise damage because of the “anxiety I have “with my T and H (thanks to an offhand inaccurate comment my mom made about my anxiety which is now on my permanent medical record) After my last noise exposure I literally fought for the steroids and they just wouldn’t do it. They said there wasn’t any evidence it would really help me anyway because I also have H. That didn’t make sense to me.

Has anyone else ever experienced this before? I thought it was normal protocol to prescribe steroids after a noise injury?

@Contrast

And thank you for replying I really appreciate it

5. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      So you've been to bars and nightclubs with loud noise over the years and had a pillow burst in your ear resulting in tinnitus and hyperacusis and they assume you don't have enough hearing damage to qualify?

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If I were you, I would take a steroid if I were to get ear fullness or a T spike after that shock.
      When I went to the ER and lied to them that I had to stop a screaming fire alarm, and that my T is spiking now, they gave me 5 Predinsone pills. I believe it might be possible to go turn around and go to an ER at another hospital and get a second set of 5 Prednisone pills...

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
      It’s happened to me before and I had no problems but never this bad (guess I’ll stop sleeping on my side). But this time I think it tugged on my ear too hard. I know other people have had T spikes from removing ear plugs (because of the suction) so I guess I just wasn’t sure if any kind of suction (even from a pillow) could do some damage.

I’ll update Tomorrow. Thank you guys for replying. I really appreciate it :(
      @Bill Bauer @DebInAustralia

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      upload_2018-8-6_12-55-14-png.png

9. iAzra
      Curious

iAzra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, Stress, Nose hit
      Hi!
      I know what you talking about cause I got this too. I found only one post describing this so I guess it is not very common but do exist and only the person who experienced it knows how awful is to be at sleep and move and get this loud pop and ring afterward. I never took any steroid for this cause it is not as big trauma as sirens etc. but I did start to sleep with my plugs to prevent from happening repeatedly since it did accure. First one side, then both.. and I can not really train myself not to sleep on the side :)

What you can do is buy some NAC, it is proven to help with cells repair IF any damage did accure and cells can not recover on their own.