Active, not recruiting Pilot Study of Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) in Area LC for Chronic Tinnitus

To test the safety and effectiveness of DBS for patients with intrusive tinnitus.

1. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      @Paulmanlike I wonder if the treatment will be done case by case, the cause of Tinnitus seems so different for everyone. If my tinnitus continues I will consider rTMS. The only thing holding me back from trying this is I have heard some people's Tinnitus has worsened with the treatment.

2. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      There is a clinic in London that offers rTMS for tinnitus that I looked into and I think it costs £2000 a week. I should also mention that there is no guaranteed result and the journals they show on their website are not very convincing. (http://www.psychiatrycentre.co.uk/r...ion-rtms-clinic/tinnitus-treatment-with-rtms/)

At the moment it's still experimental and any treatment with rTMS you undergo is like Russian roulette if it will actually do anything.

On a positive note there are some things you should consider alternatively:-

- you've had t since only April. Give it some more time to get use to it (habituate) once this is achieved you will not feel so desperate for treatment and when a better option comes you can undergo it then.

- can you manipulate your tinnitus with neck movements or by pressing certain area on your face? (somatic tinnitus) if so, testing on Susan Shore's signal device starts next year, perhaps wait for that may prove to be efficacious.

- advancing DBS and investigating protocols for rTMS to better treat tinnitus is another reason to wait.

Personally I would not do rTMS with the increasing research at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      @Paulmanlike
      Thank you for the information. Yes, my Tinnitus can be manipulated a little with different movements of my neck, however not so much of a change that it is ever silent :( However, there is no change when I touch my face in different areas.
      I felt hopeful after listening to your advice, yes I will be waiting to try anything until these techniques are perfected.

• Hug Hug x 1