Please, Give Me Some Good Advice (Second Time Habituation — Possibly?)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Widex, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Widex

Widex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone! First of all I'm not a native English speaker and sorry for my bad English.

My name is Denis, I'm 26 year old male and I suffer from tinnitus since December 2016. When I discover my tinnitus, like everyone else, I was very scared, anxious and depressed. It was something that I never heard about before. T was only in my right ear and it bother me only in quiet room and at night. To make long story short, I habituate in 30 days and continued to live my life normally - just like before T. In October 2017 I was attend to one of my best friends wedding and since that T increased in volume and expanded to my left ear also. I think that since that it's even worse now and it's going progressivelyl worse :( My original sound was constant buzzing (eeeee) but now there is 2 or 3 new sounds, in left ear is hissing. whooshing with changing volume and frequency. It's terrible!

Please, can someone tell me is this going to calm down or is it possible to re-habituate after increasing with new sounds.

2. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      First, try to relax. Easier said than done I know but if you get yourself into a worked up state over your tinnitus it will sound louder and more obtrusive to you.

I worsened my tinnitus in April 2016 thanks to a loud concert. What followed was a difficult couple of months whilst I tried to adjust to the new noise in my head but it did settle down or I did habituate it to it, i'm not entirely sure which.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Widex

Widex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank's a lot @eldudebro
      After how many days/months you habituate to new sounds?

4. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      I'd say within 3 months I had adjusted and life was back to normal.

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum @Widex. Your T hit a spike from a recent noise exposure. Most people will expect the ears to be unstable for a few months, I say 3 to 6 months range for it to get more stable. In the meantime, you need to try to stay as positive and relax as you humanly can, as stress and anxiety can aggravate T. Try to do some relaxing and interesting things and to live your life normal. That is one way to prevent the limbic nervous system from taking over causing you to function in fight or flight mode, which then can make every sensation worse and more intense. You can try to read as many success stories as you can. Because reading them will give you hope and relax you, and that you can learn many helpful strategies from others. People with much worse symptoms get well and write their success stories. So don't panic and don't worry too much about the future. If my success story with ultra high pitch T & severe hyperacusis can help you, you can follow this link to it. Take care. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Widex

Widex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @billie48 thank you very much, I aprecciate your writing. The worst thing for me isn't volume increase, it's new sound's in my left ear and changing frequency which makes me feel miserable. Hope I will habituate to whole new situation.

7. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      @Widex
      I understand what you mean. A new T or new higher level will usually have these morphing symptoms, new tones, changing tones, switching & jumping between years, ear fullness, ear pain, etc. All these symptoms are quite common when the ears are unstable during the initial stage of T. This unpredictability of T and what it will do next is exactly why the T bully can cause so much fear and anxiety to its new victims. They will struggle to cope, fearing every new move from T, having to tip-toe it all day, having to monitor it constantly as the Amygdala amplifies the T ringing sensation to the max trying to alert us of this new 'threat'.

I hope you can read up as many success stories as you can. There you will find that many people have gone through such traumatic time and suffered much initially. Try not thinking that your situation is unique. Believe me. I have been in internet support forum for near 10 years and your symptoms are very, very common. I am not belittling your suffering. I know what it was like for me. But it is what it is, a common scene for new intrusive T and all its scary symptoms. The best advice I can give you is that most people will improve 6 months to a year or two. So if you know you are going to be OK in that time frame, why fret about the little bumps, the setbacks, spikes, on the road to finaly habituation? Why provide the fuels, all the negative reactions of stress and anxiety, the things that the T bully needs in order to perpetuate its tyranny over you? Why not choose positivity over negativity? It will only benefit and not hurt. Give it a try.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Widex

Widex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @billie48
      The thing is that I never heard or read that someone's T went from good (mild) to worse (like mine) and than back to good/mild. Everything I read there and there is just progressivly worse and worse. Thank you for giving some positive feedback.

9. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      That is not my experience in reading numerous posts in the last 10 years on various support forums. Many people would have mild T, then something triggered or aggravate T to a new level of intrusiveness with new symptoms such as those you described. That caused many falling into panic and filled with anxiety and stress which again would make T worse. However after joining some forum, they began to learn about T and be educated about its spikes. They realize morphing T is actually quite common for a new spiking T with unstable ears. They learn to relax more and be more patient. Many would go back to living life normally. Given time and with repetition, they either get more hardened to the T stimulus or that some strategies do help them in calming T to a level they can tolerate. Some would find the cause(s) of their T and take care of the root of the problem, and T would fade.

It is up to you to decide how you want to approach T, accepting the temporary setbacks or raising hell against the challenges with extreme negative emotions. But the latter choice can mean a much harder road ahead, as negative emotions are what T require as fuel to perpetuate its tyranny on our lives. Perhaps you can read up more success stories to see if you can find someones with the condition you are looking for to help you feel better about your prospect of recovery.