Please Help, Don't Know What to Do: Got Tinnitus 2 Months Ago, Fluctuating, A Lot of Anxiety

Discussion in 'Support' started by sweden1991, Sep 25, 2016.

1. sweden1991

sweden1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      nightclub? stress? sinus issues?
      Hi,

I have been lurking around here for 2 months, hoping that I would soon be able to write a success story but I guess it's not time for that yet.

I got T 2 months ago, It had been a stressful summer, lots of allergies/sinus infections etc. but the cherry on top most have been the nightclub I went to (I thought it was too loud and kept trying to block out the sound but my friends all thought I was exaggerating). I woke up with a sound in my left ear and blocked ears (I also felt very sick, throat etc).
      First weeks were hell, thoughts of suicide, constant crying etc etc. Looking back now I realize that this was better than what it is now.

I have seen 3 doctors, they all said it would probably go away but it obviously hasnt. I did a normal hearing test which showed normal hearing. I apparently have narrow Eustachian tubes but otherwise normal ears.

A few weeks ago I managed to calm down a lot and realied that the sound was maskable with fans and I would rarely hear it over the quitiest sound, mainly just if I blocked sound from coming in.

It has fluctuated quite a bit and this is what causes me so much anxiety. I have tried to figure out if it's something I am doing but it doesnt seem that way.

All of a sudden, it's in my left and right ear and head and it's like 2-3 sounds at the same time/different tones.
      I thought it would be getting better by now, does anyone know why this is happening?

It seemed to be getting better the first few weeks so I don;t understand what is going on.

So I guess my questions are:

1. Why is it getting worse after 2 months?
      2. Could it continue and get progressively worse?
      3. Could it still get better? Can it still go away?
      4. Is it harder for changing/flactuating tinnitus to go away?
      5. What are the statistics?
      6. Why would it only be in one ear first and then move over to my head/other ear?

Sorry for all the questions, I am really not doing well. I am starting my master's on Monday and I don't know if I will even be able to read :(

2. DDD

DDD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noice induced/acoustic trauma
      I've been told newer T fluctuates alot before it stabilizes

3. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Nobody can answer your questions. Even doctors.
      I'm sorry to say that tinnitus that lasts that long may be permanent unless along with your doctor you find an underlying cause. Or it might just start to go away. Unpredictability is t.
      For the time being, use useful stuff that may help. Exercise (don't knock yourself out though), very good quality Ginkgo biloba, magnesium, zinc, NAC, avoid loud places, earplugs, healthy eating, work with your doc.
      There are tons of advices here on the forum and people to help you.

4. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Nobody knows, tinnitus has a mind of its own!
      Yes it could.
      Yes it could get better. Yes it could go away.
      There are no statistics, all guess work.
      See above, there are no statistics!
      No scientific theory is available.

Man... you are asking impossible questions. Accept your noise and don't try to find answers! There are none...

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @sweden1991
      Since you are new to tinnitus you might find the post below helpful. Best of luck.

New to tinnitus what to do?

The onset of loud intrusive tinnitus can be very traumatic for most people. I use the words loud and intrusive, because tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities. When it is mild, moderate or occasionally heard in quiet surroundings it is usually not too bothersome and a person can go about their daily affairs quite happily and unperturbed by this anomaly. This type of tinnitus usually comes on gradually and in some cases it’s associated with hearing loss, as we get older and the usual treatment is the wearing of hearing aid/s.

Tinnitus can be caused by other things: an underlining medical problem, build up of ear wax (cerumen). Jaw problems. Some medications and even irregular blood flow through the body causing Pulsatile tinnitus. There are a plethora of other conditions that can be responsible. However, the most common cause is exposure to loud noise or music that has been played at high levels causing some damage to the cochlear in the inner ear.

This type of tinnitus can be loud, intrusive and very debilitating. Often leaving a person at a loss and not knowing which way to turn to escape the nightmare that has suddenly come upon them. Your Dr has probably told you, it’s tinnitus and nothing can be done, you’ll just have to learn to live with it. I remember those words as if it were yesterday resonating through my mind and thinking, live with this for the rest of my life, impossible. So I fully understand how difficult it can be for someone new to this condition to take this in and believe it to be factual.

If you are having difficulty sleeping you might have been advised to try a night time sedation or an ant-depressant to help cope with the stress and anxiety that often accompanies tinnitus. These medications can be helpful especially in the early stages and they don’t have to be taken long term, so it’s something to consider. They can act as a safety net so you don’t become too down.

A referral to ENT will usually be recommended. In the mean time try to keep occupied with something you like doing, as it helps to distract the brain from focusing on the tinnitus. Avoiding quiet rooms during the day by playing low level non intrusive music such as classical in the background can be helpful.

At night a sound machine placed by the bedside playing nature sounds or listening to favourite mp3 tracks or Cds are good. Keeping the volume just below the tinnitus is ideal and set to play throughout the night until morning. It takes time to get used to sound therapy so please stay with it. Whilst in a deep sleep it supplies the brain and auditory system with sound enrichment. Over time the tinnitus is pushed further into the background helping to make its perception less noticeable during waking hours.

In the early stages of tinnitus, if one chooses not to use sound enrichment sleeping can sometimes be difficult and there’s also the chance of the tinnitus becoming more intrusive as sleeping in a quiet room can allow the brain to increase it’s own background activity. In doing so it will also increase the tinnitus making it more intrusive during waking hours.

There is a tendency for newbies to try and cure their tinnitus which is quite understandable. There are many remedies, treatments and concoctions out there. Some affordable others quite expensive. I am not adverse to trying to help myself but want to say, there are charlatans and con artists eager to relieve someone in distress of their money so please be careful. Even tried and tested treatments I wouldn’t recommend a person try until they have been seen at ENT. Often a person after been seen at ENT is advised to wait a while.

The reason being. Many people habituate to tinnitus within six months sometimes a little longer and it has been known to go away. The ear is a very delicate organ and many Drs prefer to wait before investigating further and then suggesting a treatment. If other problems are experienced such as: pain in the ears, deafness, dizziness or balance problems this is of more concern and a person will usually been seen quicker.

It is best to have a word with your GP if you’re feeling stressed or depressed in any way, as previously mentioned there are treatments available. Leaving things alone until ENT advise you of the next step is the best thing to do in my opinion. Don’t try to fix anything or throw large sums of money at treatments that you have no way of knowing whether you’ll get any relief.

It is not advisable to listen to audio through headphones even at low volume and keep away from loud sounds. By all means go out but anywhere that plays loud music then wear noise reducing earplugs.
      Take things slowly and one day at a time. Read some of the positivity threads and ask other members for advice. Many people eventually habituate to their tinnitus and go on to lead a happy and fulfilling life even though it may take a little time.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1