Please help me!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Neenie, Nov 30, 2013.

1. applewine
      Curious

applewine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ME/CFS, Dysautonomia
      Do you know if the clicking is coming from in your ears or your jaw? If it is the ears this should be the equalizing pressure muscle called the tensor veli palatini. See if you can control this muscle by itself or by yawning or swallowing to identify it. If this is the clicking you hear and it is related or causal you may want to investigate this muscle some more. I don't know if it is related.

There is information out there about certain muscles causes spasms of these muscles. Perhaps the lateral pterygoid.

Search for things like this:

I have TMJ and a lot of upper cervical trigger point type pain so I've looked up a lot about muscles in relation to tinnitus. In my case I don't think mine was caused by muscles, at least not completely, but I've researched it. A rumbling sound could also be the same tensor levi palatini muscle. I've read that and also when I contract that muscle I hear click and then rumbling if I hold it.

Another example is if you hear a weird fluttering sound that sounds like air puffing. I've gotten this a few times, but it is not really a primary symptom of my concern. This is likely the tensor tympani muscle in spasm. ENT's will tell you there is no cure for a chronic case of that I think, but I remember there being TMJ causes or other muscle causes which you can investigate.

I developed TMJ and tinnitus noises at the same time, but I think mine was caused at least in part by a bad reaction to a too high dose of a pain medication, not my TMJ. I'm getting my TMJ treated now though. Tinnitus and TMJ problems started in 2008 but I only did partial TMJ treatment at the time because symptoms reduced.

You don't seem to have any causal event like noise or adverse drug reaction that I'm aware of, so maybe it is muscle related somehow.