Please Provide Advice for the "Kiss of Deaf"

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ChrisTiancama, Jun 21, 2015.

1. ChrisTiancama

ChrisTiancama Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/09/2015
      Good afternoon forum members. Thank you for taking your time to read my post, I really appreciate it. This is my first post on these forums and would like some advice regarding my tinnitus from a kiss on my left ear. I'll try to keep it short:

13 days ago (6/8/15) my girlfriend kissed my left ear.
      Almost instantaneously I lost all hearing in my left ear and could ONLY hear a high pitched ringing noise (T) - (It reminded me of a sound you hear from movies, as if a grenade went off).
      This lasted for about 30 minutes and I assumed my hearing was gone.
      Fortunately, after about 30 minutes I was able to regain a majority of my hearing but since that kiss on my left ear I was left with high pitched tinnitus.

The T is only in one ear and is a consistent high pitch, no pulsating. Although there is another interesting symptom. While I'm listening to music I am able to hear a "metallic" sound at certain frequencies. I have seen my GP who referred me to the ENT. The referral will take about another 2-3 weeks. Please let me know if you know anyone or experienced something like this. Any advice is appreciated, thank you again.

2. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      I do remember reading that this member had an experience with a kiss on the ear: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/im-so-confused-how-this-happened.8223/#post-95003

It's good you're going to see an ENT. For now just try to stay calm and do not listen to music at loud volumes, or without hearing protection.

Things will be okay, hang in there.

3. DogWhistle

DogWhistle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      As far as I understand, a metallic sound is usually an indicator of low frequency hearing loss. And low frequency hearing loss after a pressure-related injury to the ear is a strong indicator that perilymph is leaking, as if either the oval or round windows ruptured. But if that's the case, you should also have significant balance issues, like severe dizziness.

In any case, you should see your doctor.

4. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      A course of prednisone may be of help during the early onset of tinnitus.

Other than that, you should look into the AM-101 trial depending on your geographical location.

Info on the trial can be found here: http://www.tinnitus-study.info/

Best wishes.

• Agree Agree x 1