Poll: Did You Develop TMJ After the Onset of Tinnitus/Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by VeryUnfortunate, Mar 25, 2021.

?

Have you developed TMJ after the onset of your tinnitus/hyperacusis?

1. Yes, I have developed TMJ after the onset of my tinnitus or hyperacusis

2. No, I have not developed TMJ after the onset of my tinnitus or hyperacusis

3. I already had TMJ before the onset of my tinnitus or hyperacusis

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. VeryUnfortunate
      Stressed

VeryUnfortunate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hello everyone, I am writing this post because I believe I developed TMJ after the acoustic trauma that led to my tinnitus and hyperacusis.

My theory is that because I am always listening to the noises in my left ear and looking out for noise, this leads to me always involuntarily clenching/grinding my jaw and surrounding muscles.

I only have tinnitus in my left ear, and I have most of my TMJ pain on my left side of my face.

I feel like this may be a common theme with other Tinnitus Talk members because I recall reading it before, but I couldn't find a specific thread on this.

I am curious to see if anyone else may be in the same boat. Thank you for any participation in the poll/thread.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Depressed
      Depressed

Depressed Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion (Elontril)/Bruxism
      After a few days of getting tinnitus, my jaw started feeling weird: I had difficulties opening my mouth, a lot of cracking sounds as well as little bit of pain, and on top of that, I also got hyperacusis. I learned that bruxism could've been the cause, so I got a mouth guard, and as time went by, the jaw problems, along with the hyperacusis, gradually went away. The tinnitus, despite becoming more bearable, never totally subsided, and it's already been 2.5 years (although I'm pretty sure that Buproprion/Elontril is partly the cause of it).

There seems to be a strong correlation between jaw problems and tinnitus, a ton of people have had similar experiences.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      VeryUnfortunate
      Stressed

VeryUnfortunate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think my case is pretty similar to yours. I started having a lot of jaw pain after my acoustic trauma that caused my tinnitus, and I think they are definitely related. I am going to see a dentist to get a mouth guard tomorrow. May I ask how long it took for your symptoms to subside after the mouthguard?

4. Depressed
      Depressed

Depressed Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion (Elontril)/Bruxism
      By the time I got the mouth guard, the jaw problems had already somewhat improved on their own, so it's hard to tell. The hyperacusis quickly disappeared and I wasn't worrying about the jaw after the first couple of weeks of so. When it comes to the tinnitus, I noticed an improvement of the noise after the very first days.