Poll: Do You Know Anyone Whose Tinnitus Went Away?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kayla L, Apr 17, 2015.

?

Do you know anyone whose tinnitus went away?

1. Yes, went away in <6 months

2. Yes, went away in 6 months to a year

3. Yes, went away in over a year

4. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Kayla L
      Depressed

Kayla L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 13, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/TMJ/Anxiety/Stress
      I was wondering do you know anyone whose tinnitus went away?

Please fill in poll.

2. Beessie
      Relaxed

Beessie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      21-01-2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? + badluck? Clubbing? IDK!
      I voted no, because I don't know anyone else who have Tinnitus unless me..

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      I know someone who had it recently for two months. He told me that in the beginning he didnt know what to do so he ignored it and got very busy. He said that it just left his consciousness after two months and hasnt come back.

• Like Like x 3
    4. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I wish it did just go away...If only I were so lucky!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      I friend of mine she had mild T for over a year. Then it resolved. It was probably nerve related.

• Like Like x 1
    6. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      What does that mean nerve related please? Do you mean stress (extreme) making it worse or do you mean nerves and how can you conclude it was nerve related.
      By the way the example I gave above of my friend who had it for 2 months and then it went away is absolutely true........

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      Her T was due to stress and tension. She had first hearing loss (low and mid range) then completely deafness. First on one ear then both, but the hearing came back quite quickly tho T remained. Eventually T resolved as well. Thus she and the physicians believe it was nerve related. I wish I had her luck!

8. r_ve

r_ve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      New Years Eve
      Yea three good friends of me (I know of) have/had tinnitus. One got it in his early teens through a medicament (I think) and still has to live with it until now in his late teens. The other one got it through loud music (he fell asleep on music speakers) and told me it took months until it finally went away.

Another one told me he got a beeping noise in his ears because of a high frequency tone he heard somewhere (forgot where) and it went away after weeks after he took medicaments.

I'm having mine for almost 4 months now and I got it because of an exploding firecracker. Still hoping it gets better and maybe away completely in the best case. :)

• Like Like x 1
    9. Gabrielle
      No Mood

Gabrielle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe bad syringing
      I'm afraid there's no one in the world who's T really went away.
      Why?
      Because all you read is like "My uncle had tinnitus...", and "My brother..." and "I know that a neighbour of my mother had it and it went away"... etc etc.

Even Dr. Nagler "knows people" to whom to T has gone.

But... never ever I've read a story of the T-sufferer him/herself, that his/her T went away.

I know that ex T-sufferers are not writing on forums likes this. I can imagine, but....
      also on TV or magazines or newspapers.... there are no stories from the T-patients that has recovered after years of severe T.

There are lots of people who has learned to live with T. Like kind of habituation.
      But T totally stopped/went away? I do not know a story of the person itself.

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well... there are normal sounds that the nervous system makes that anyone can hear if they start paying attention to them, and I think that the more you actively listen to such things, the better your brain gets at picking up on them.

Think about this old optical illusion:
      document1.jpe

We have probably all had the experience of initially seeing the faces or the vase in isolation, before the mind goes "a-ha!" and sees both. Becoming aware of your internal sounds can be a similar moment. Of course, once you have seen both images, it is no longer possible to look at the picture and not see both of them... likewise, once you've become aware of the sounds your nervous system makes, you can't un-hear them.

So, what's important here is drawing a distinction between "normal background electrical impulses which slightly stimulate the hearing apparatus", and "loud, intrusive tinnitus". So, I would suggest that no one has ever recovered from the latter and not still had the former, because that's a basic and normal part of human existence. But, I would suggest that some people have recovered from the latter to a point where they never think about the former, which is much the same thing. After all, what is the significance of the two faces vs the vase, if you are not thinking about or looking at the picture? There's a sort of Zen riddle in all this; "if you're in the forest and you have some tinnitus but you're not consciously aware of it on any level, does it make a sound?"

• Like Like x 2
    11. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I should also say, I have communicated directly with a good number of people who developed loud, intrusive tinnitus as a result of benzodiazepine withdrawal, and achieved complete resolution after a period of months or years.

• Like Like x 1
    12. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013

Well, here is a story, in a newspaper, from a T sufferer whose T went away: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/my-life-was-a-war-against-noise-1.517024

Whether you want to believe it or not is up to you, I'm not sure on how I feel about it, but after exchanging emails with the man I can say he definitely seems to have had tinnitus, and he seems to definitely not have it now. He didn't try to sell me on what he says cured him, but he was kind and listened to me and gave me hope when I needed it. Though, even if one is trying to "sell" you on it, it's not much more expensive than going to the gym - it's not really marketed as a "T-cure."

Back when I was scouring the internet for any hope of recovery, I found other people (studying other types of similar martial arts) who has said their T had resolved - one an older woman who had been doing it for her back and one day woke up years later with quieter T that reduced to nothing slowly over her years of practice.

Anyway, there's an article since you asked for it, but I have to say I know a lot more people in my personal life who had T (from noise usually, or illness) that went away after a while. There are also posts in success stories in other places on the internet that talk about T actually going away. It happens.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    13. canyonero

canyonero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma?
      Mine goes away all the time, it just always comes back in a day or two.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      Wanna trade?

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      yes i know some people their tinnitus went away.
      a coworker of my mother had tinnitus for 4 years. it was constantly quieter until it went complete away. she said, worst thing you can do is listen to your tinnitus.
      the wife of my uncle had tinnitus for ~1,5 years. she changed to a job with lower stress and her T went away.

some people in the internet wrote me their tinnitus went away after 1-12 years. cowan hill's tinnitus went away after 20 years.

i think the body of a human has a ernomous healing power. - if you are happy and content, make some sport, eat healthy food and love and friends, having a family. but if you are lonely, depressed, thinking about tinnitus all the time, the chances are bad...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      That's not true!

He still has T. Mild T. Please read his book before giving currency to rumors.

He describes his T-noise as 'maddening chorus of crickets'.

Some of his statements,

17. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      I know 5 people around me had tinnitus for several reasons and all of them got recovered completely! I hope ours will go away too someday!

• Like Like x 3
    18. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      yeah I know one friend who got it , because of loud headphones . but last like 4 weeks . it was a pulsatil sound . she was very afraid . one day she call me and said to me , its gone . I ask her many quiestions when she got it , it was not the heart in her hears but told me like "shhhhhh ..... shhhhhhh .... shhhhh" type of sound , but not related to her pulse . any way one day was gone . now she never listen to headphones any more !

19. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Is it me or people who got sound induced T generally get well completely?

20. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Some very lucky ones do, but many do not. Why some recover and others do not is still a bit of a mystery. I don't think mine was strictly noise induced, but I've had T for 2 yrs with no signs of abating. Some people get better, others get progressively worse.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    21. hurtingdream

hurtingdream Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002. Became worse 11/29/2015.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I know someone who's a Vietnam vet and he said his T decreased 3 years later. He also said once in awhile when he's stressed it gets loud for about a week.

22. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't think so. In fact i think tinnitus from acoustic trauma has a worse prognosis than other causes like an ear infection. Noise induced T that lasts beyond a month has a very poor prognosis from what I can tell. Noise induced T lasting a few hours maybe.
      It's the difference between the nerves being damaged / angry and dying off.

• Like Like x 1
    23. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      I think it all dependes on the severity of noise . for example . I have one friend also who got it for shooting fire arms , so I think its difficult to recover from that knind of impact . But if listening some hours to loud music gives you T , its very common it goes away . In viral infections depends on severity also . One friend got inner ear infection , we started potent steroids (dexametasone) the same day . like 3 or 4 weeks , although the side effects were considerably of potent steroids . Now she is completely fine . No dizziness , no vertigo , no tinnuts , no hearing loss . So .. it all depends on the severity of the damage .

• Like Like x 1
    24. texant

texant Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      I got tinnitus after a gunshot and it went away after 9 days. There is hope.

• Like Like x 1
    25. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This is an interesting poll that I would like to bump up.

26. Christokp

Christokp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Yes and no.

My co-worker was shooting shotguns with inadequate hearing protection. He used ear buds that are intended for music. His ears rang for two weeks before it went away. He was 26.

My chiropractor was in the army and would shoot with out hearing protection. It took 6 months before his went away completely. I'm not sure how old he was.

My friend from college was not so lucky. He to was shooting shotguns with out ear protection. He was 21. He's had tinnitus for 10 years. According to him it decrease in volume over time. He rates his as a 1-2 out of 10 and is not bothered by it.

My father has had tinnitus for about 25 years. He acquired his through extended loud noise exposure over time. He attended a lot of rock concerts growing up, worked at stadiums that had concerts and sporting events, and was in a band. For the most part he is not bothered by it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you for sharing all of those stories! This gives me hope at a time of a spike.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Yes, on all accounts. I know people who had it for days, weeks, months and even years.

• Like Like x 1
    29. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Yes, one of my aunts had tinnitus in one ear from a bicycle accident where she hit her head.....it was constant for about a year and then it went away but I think she has said she still gets a slight ringing every now and then.

Unfortunately her case is completely different from mine, seeing as hers was from an accidents.

• Like Like x 1
    30. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, I know of a case where noise induced tinnitus went away in half a year or so.

• Like Like x 2