Poll: Does Your Dog's Barking Annoy or Spike Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sarah200, Jan 10, 2019.

?

Does your dog's barking annoy or spike your tinnitus?

1. Yes, my dog's barking negatively affects my tinnitus

2. No, my dog's barking doesn't affect my tinnitus

3. I don't have a dog but dog barking negatively affects my tinnitus

4. I don't have a dog but dog barking doesn't affect my tinnitus

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Haha, yes he is :D

1554469929-56162870-331029580890691-1282048180237631488-n.jpg

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      He is beautiful man, a little poser :LOL: love it

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Don't be, they are generally a very quiet dog, from my experience. A family friend has one and he lives in a condo where a barking dog would not be welcomed.

This is the sweet guy, he is so obedient. Training is a must, but this goes for any breed.

aHxg5L7.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      That is why I wanted to get a pug or a king charles spaniel quiet dogs. At least the pugs bark is lower then shrillness. Oh i was planning to be very good with the training.

• Like Like x 1
    5. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      My dog just barked in my apartment. A single, short but somewhat loud bark. She was about 10 ft away. It was unexpected so I didn't have ear protection.

I think I have some minor ear pain. I guess part of it is anxiety and the response like others say. I would really appreciate feedback.

I hope I can say the same as the rest here. Temporary spiking, some temporary ear pain? Were any of the barks for you, indoors?

I have spiking and I think right ear pain.

I thought I had trained her not to but I think she has been feeling anxious lately. I figure that she knows something had changed with me. I still don't want any barking though.

6. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      @PeteJ its exactly why my parents right now said lets revisit the dog idea. My anxiety is so bad and my ears pain at anything and the whole barking issue was freaking me out. So im revisiting the idea of a dog in a years time or once everything has settled. What dog is it?

7. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      My Pixie girl is a Mini-Schnauzer. She rarely barks.

2 (2).jpg

lVKIBCY.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I am feeling down but your dog is cute.

Does anyone here get ear pain from barks and if you did, did it subside or heal up (completely)? If it did, do you recall how long it took?

It was loud but didn't seem unbearably so. I don't know why my ear is still sore the next day but I hope it is healing. It is worrisome that it became painful at all from that.

My left ear is not as sore now which makes this cruel irony worse. My right ear I considered my good ear is the one in pain.

The only good news is my t was really 'low' this morning. It seems early morning is my most frequent relief times these days.

I adore my dog and she didn't know any better but that is now a concern. I have discouraged her from barking but this one time, I guess she forgot and wanted to tell me something.

Anyway, I am worried now. I should have had two pain free ears today. Why do these things keep happening to me?!? :(

9. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Anyone? :(

10. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      I didnt get ear pain mind you i was wearing double protection, however, I did get bad muscle pain afterwards because I think id been clenching my jaw from anxiety really badly. It really depends on the bark and dog was it high pitched or low bark? If your t was low this morning then im sure it didnt spike it which is good.

11. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      The t was low this morning. The bark was high pitched.

The ear pain is bad. I don't think I can take this.

12. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      My ears cant stand the high pitched bark. The fact it was low was good. What does the ear pain feel like? When i get ear pain and im new to the ear pain it comes quickly then disappears quickly. Is it a burning pain or just normal pain? Are you sure you dont have an ear infection?

13. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I don't know what is burning pain?

It feels like an ear ache. Both ears at the moment because the left one has been on and off in terms of pain.

I don't know what it is from. One after hrs GP thought it was from clenching and teeth grinding. I was there for the left ear pain, though. The right ear pain is recent.

14. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      Burning pain feels like its burning like as if you burnt yourself. Maybe see another doctor and see what they say. I have gotten ear pain from clenching before due to my anxiety, so its not uncommon.

15. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Ok. I just wanted confirmation. I wouldn't describe it as burning.

Anxiety? I have had anxiety before this and never got ear pain as a result.

16. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      Well thats good and the fact that your T hasnt gotten worse from the dog bark seems good. Just monitor it for a few days though.

Anxiety can do weird things, i clench when im anxious which causes a whole lot of issues sometimes pain, it depends on the person.

17. Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction ear wax removal
      6968FCA6-20C7-4137-BA28-37F092753F0B.png The sound of my Ralphie only brings joy to my life, especially when so much joy has disappeared because of tinnitus.

18. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      A week ago, one puppy bark within a metre of my left ear triggered an instant spike. She rarely barks, but I managed to get a measurement afterwards, whilst wearing ear pro, at around 87dB (dB-A) via a reasonably reliable phone app. It was already a spike day, my first for weeks, after having a long stretch of low T that was fairly stable. I didn't even register it as being overly loud and had no sense of anxiety. I had taken nicotinamide riboside and mag too already that day, prior to the bark. Anyway, my T became reactive and a noticeably worse in the affected ear, which is already my worse ear. My H didn't regress to how it used to be, luckily.

Since then I've been taking my full noise exposure protocol - nicotinamide riboside, magnesium, R lipoic acid, coQ10, vit c, ALCAR, NAC, sublingual glutathione, melatonin, etc. After a week things seem might be improving, I think.

Yet people like to say that tinnitus sufferers are no more prone to noise damage than non sufferers. Ridiculous and false. It's all too easy to acquire more damage once you've had acoustic traumas in the past.

19. Honey_Bee
      Barefooter

Honey_Bee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection?
      Here’s my handsome love 65lbs and his bark doesn’t bother my tinnitus. And my husband truly does love to spin him up barking lol please enjoy his awesome sweater lol

Attached Files:

20. Deniseh

Deniseh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly b12/folic acid deficiency and GERD
      Hi,

I have a Lhasa Apso and their bark is high pitched, when I first got t I also had slight Hyperacusis and his bark sounded shrill, it didn’t hurt just made me cringe. Now 4 months later it doesn’t affect me much It’s just annoying xx

21. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have a bullmastiff/pitbull mix that I rescued about 4.5 years ago. She doesn't bark often, only when we're playing, and she gets excited. She's 80 pounds so she has quite a bark. It reverberates throughout the house. I've had tinnitus for just over 20 months. Her bark has never spiked my tinnitus, but it used to bother me when I had moderate hyperacusis. The hyperacusis is dying down as of late. My dog has been the light of my life since I've had to endure this awful affliction. She keeps me going. She helps me to take the focus off myself, and what is ailing me.

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I posted earlier in this thread and I think some barks are bothersome and some aren't. I think that might be due to the kind of hyperacusis I have but I am still not sure. I am guessing because I had some problem listening to some people when they are talking loudly. If you have had this too then you know what I mean.

As for barking, I don't know if I get a spike. I get spikes often or at least my tinnitus fluctuates to a point where everything seems like a spike. A recent dentist visit resulted in noticeable spike.

I am worried about ear pain from barking. I don't know if it happens though because there is always a delay until the pain starts. It makes it difficult to figure out what noise contributed to it if any.

23. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
    24. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019