Poll: Has Tinnitus, Hyperacusis, Hearing Loss Made You Feel Suicidal?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Steven__, Apr 13, 2018.

?

Has your hearing disorder (tinnitus, hyperacusis, hearing loss, etc.) made you feel suicidal?

1. Yes

2. Periodically

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Steven__

Steven__ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure, TMJ
      A bit curious. I've been having some thoughts ever since I got all three (tinnitus, hyperacusis, hearing loss) and I also don’t exactly have the best vision either.

I work with older dogs and sometimes we get dogs that are both blind and deaf. That’s when I get most of my negative thoughts from.

I feel absolutely terrible when I see that they struggle as anyone with the condition would.

I apologize if the poll or writing has offended you.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Don't apologize for posting this. A lot of people on this board including me have been dealing with clinical depression and anxiety. I had it before T and T just amps it up to the next level. It's critical for you to make sure that you are working with a therapist if you are having these feelings. Please do not try to resolve them without professional help.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Steven_
      Im sure you get lot's of pleasure looking after the elderly dogs and love back from them.
      Tinnitus comes with lots of unwanted emotions and tinnitus can be mental torture and talking therapy can help ...
      Love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Error404

Error404 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      90's
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Deaf
      Yes. I am going through this now.

I am congenitally deaf and well-used to the high-pitched ringing: it is my silence and I am perfectly content with it (I know it drives other people insane, hence this forum!). I also have a cochlear implant which I do really well with. Seven weeks ago everything went insane with rumbling in my head, drones, electrical buzzing sounds, beeps, musical sounds, hymns (no I am not joking), and a sort of roaring sound whenever I yawn/turn my head. Some of these sounds also want to keep pace with external ones making masking impossible. My voice also sounds like a megaphone when my implant is on which is scary. I am seeing an ENT at my implant centre on Monday after the local one turned out to be completely inept. I *think* it is infection related as the sounds began about a week before my eardrums turned red/bulging. I can now feel fluid.

I have been given Nortriptyline to try and sleep. The first four weeks I was too scared to move from bed, had panic attacks all day. Work went out the window. Have never known anything like it. I am terrified there is a serious cause (I actually have a cancer causing gene and have an MRI every two years), not eating well, barely functioning. I leave the house to see my GP and attend my therapist appointments. That's it. Partner has taken over dog walking which I used to enjoy. I am a mental mess and don't think I can cope if this turns out to be a permanent change.

• Hug Hug x 4
    5. Nicola8478

Nicola8478 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity
      Yes absolutely. Just got out of hospital. Seeing an audiologist for my tinnitus and hyperacusis on Monday. Habituation is my only hope I think.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1