Poll: Have You Experienced a Permanent Tinnitus Spike Following a Dental Procedure?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bill Bauer, Jul 16, 2018.

?

Have you experienced a permanent tinnitus spike following a dental procedure?

1. Dentist was reasonable (see below); I ended up not having a permanent spike following the procedure

2. My dentist was reasonable; I ended up with a permanent spike following the procedure

3. My dentist was UNreasonable; I ended up with a permanent spike following the procedure

4. My dentist was UNreasonable; I ended up not having a permanent spike following the procedure

5. None of the options above are applicable to me; I would still like to view the results of this poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If following the onset of your tinnitus you have had any dental procedure that involved the use of a drill, please participate in this poll. (For this poll, let's ignore the experiences of the people who have had a quiet laser drill used on them during the procedure. The use of those drills is often not possible.)

A "reasonable dentist" is short-hand for a dentist who drilled for at most 5 seconds at a time, and took 10 second pauses; someone who used a quieter electric-powered drill.

An "unreasonable dentist" is short-hand for a dentist who used an air-powered drill and hasn't been drilling for at most 5 seconds, while taking 10-second pauses.

Thank you for participating in this poll!

2. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      @Bill Bauer what about those who maybe experience spikes from prolonged opening of the Jaw? Not that I have, but I could see that being a seperate contributing factor to many people's dental experience.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If someone thinks that this has been a contributing factor, please let us know in the comments.

4. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Good point. I had horrible jaw pain after my last procedure. Lasted a couple weeks.

But no permanent spike and dentist and I discussed more breaks for my jaw if I have to undergo a long procedure again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am very glad that I made thread. I will now know to insist on getting breaks during my procedure. Thank you for letting me know.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Bump

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Anyone else?

8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Yes mine lasted about a year after my treatment but happy tell you by pm if not done already.
      love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you are the person who had selected the option "My dentist was reasonable; I ended up with a permanent spike following the procedure" in this poll, may I ask you to please answer the questions below?
      How major/loud was the spike did you get following the dental procedure, and how long ago was it? Has the spike been gradually fading? Was the dentist both "drilling for at most 5 seconds/taking 10 second breaks" AND "using an electric-powered drill"? Were there any other factors that might have contributed to you getting a spike? Thank you for the clarification!

• Agree Agree x 1