Poll: Have You Found Out the Reason for Your Spikes?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ozzy, Jan 4, 2016.

?

Have you found out the reason for your spikes?

1. Flu/cold or other sickness

2. Being exposed to loud sound

3. Stress

4. After certain food / drink or cigarette

5. After certain medication

6. Tiredness

7. Sadness / Anger / Depression

8. Inadequate sleep

9. Other reason

10. I could not yet find out why I have spikes

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      * Ear infection * 20 years later huge sound increase due to stress
      Have you find out the reason of your spikes?

For example, I always have a spike when I have a flu.
      (I think due to dysfunctional eustachian tubes, which change the acoustic of the ear somehow)

But sometimes I also have a spike when I'm not sick. I do not know exactly what is the reason behind it.
      Have you already find out the reason of your spikes?

Please join my little poll.. Please specify the reason

2. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Hello Ozzy,

I can't say for sure why I get spikes. From the short time I've had T (1 month) I noticed that the more depressed/anxious or sad that I am, the louder the T become. Nothing new there.
      I have also been exposed to some short, but loud noises (just a few days and yesterday from fire alarm going off in my house) and I want to think that it has spiked T a little. Nothing major, it could also be just my anxiousness that causes the T appear louder or hearing a tone that I didn't pay attention to before. Luckily I haven't had a cold so far, so I cannot say if my T would have spiked due to that.
      Coffee/sugar/salt does not seem to have any impact on my T. Sleepless nights doesn't help, it'd make the T sound louder but hardly any spikes for that reason.

Hope that answers your poll a little :)

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Fangen

Hello. According to my experience, as your T is quite new, psychological effects are quite important.
      Maybe you think there is a spike; but actually there is not.
      I don't think it is due the alarm. Don't be sad about it. Your mind is overprotective these days.
      I mean it is trying to protect your ears and it is very sensitive to all sounds.
      So, maybe you just "think" that it is a spike.

Can you hear the T continously during the day ? How loud is it?
      Hope that it reduces soon..

4. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello @Ozzy

I hope it's just in my mind but there is a more "clear" high-frequent tone now. Yes it was there before but it was a little more quiet and kinda fell between the electrical buzzing I have in my ears. Now the tone is more clear and I can hear it fairly well. And now that I am aware and some what scared/anxious about it, I will of course not be able to stop hearing it. I just got used to the sound and felt that I was almost habituated, which makes me even more sad and angry that I got a major setback :(

5. HighStrung

HighStrung Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      I just found out that Chamomile tea makes mine spike pretty bad. I tried it after reading about a guy who found his would go away if he drank Chamomile tea.

I don't know how long the spike lasts, I'm in the middle of it right now, and it's been about 9 hours.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. wishingluck
      No Mood

wishingluck Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure, but probably acoustic trauma
      I only get them when I am asleep! Then I wake up. Fortunately I just crank up the masking and roll over. The spikes are my worst case scenario. I don't believe they can be due to 'anxiety' or sadness or moods or depression. I don't understand why I keep hearing these things, even from doctors. How can they say that if they have no proof?

Hell, I am the least anxious when I am asleep, after all :LOL:

One thing I noticed, though, is that blood pressure is always at it's highest in these cases, technically pre-hyperttension, 125/88 or so.

The first times that happened, I would get up and the spike would go away after about 15 minutes. I never get them when awake. I might get a little, very short and quiet spike. I have had these for years, once in a blue moon.

The ones I get at night are scary. Very loud and high pitched. It happens 2 or 3 times a week.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello @Fangen

Same. My T is like a electric buzzing.
      Yes, probably it's just a spike. Meanwhile don't forget to carry protective earplugs in your bag.
      (for party or bar etc.)

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello @HighStrung

Yes, currently I have a spike too.
      I feel kind of sick; maybe it is the reason of the spike. (dysfunctional eustachian tubes most probably)

Chamomile tea is causing T? Very interesting indeed, because some people tells the opposite.

9. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Ozzy,
      I think I have three set of ear plugs in my jacket and two at home. Unfortunately I didn't expect the fire alarm to go off (because of often do that happen?) but the fire alarm will be removed today and set up in a better place that is not directly above the stove (don't know who put it there to begin with but well..).
      I have been reading up on the specific fire alarm I have at home and it states that it is 85 db at a 3 meters length. I guess it's closer to 90-95 within 1 meter? Still, I should be fine since I need to be exposed longer than a few seconds to get damaged. At least I can tell myself that whenever I get anxious.

Another thing I have noticed, is that I will have a short spike after sex. I guess it has something to do with the blood pressure going up, it usually calms down after 15 min. But it always spikes. :)

@wishingluck,
      I think anxiety and fear is very well connected to T. I know how badly I felt about it at the onset and how it seemed like it was just screaming everywhere every second. The loudness haven't changed but I feel better (still not great but better) and that has lowered the loudness as I perceive it, despite that it it most likely exactly the same sound and loudness as before. I never get spikes during sleep, unless I am super-mega stressed and anxious. Then I will wake up due to "light-sleep", and feel anxious but never to the sound.

10. wishingluck
      No Mood

wishingluck Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure, but probably acoustic trauma
      @wishingluck,
      I think anxiety and fear is very well connected to T. I know how badly I felt about it at the onset and how it seemed like it was just screaming everywhere every second. The loudness haven't changed but I feel better (still not great but better) and that has lowered the loudness as I perceive it, despite that it it most likely exactly the same sound and loudness as before. I never get spikes during sleep, unless I am super-mega stressed and anxious. [/QUOTE]

--------------

Even my psychologist said the same thing. Maybe you are right, but I am sceptical about 'anxiety'. How can one measure these supposed effects concretely? I have been way more anxious in the past than I am now, never got spikes. In the past I was a lot more fearful about a multitude of stuff, things that today make me laugh.

I have read memoirs of people who lived in concentration camps. Plenty to get stressed about there. None of them mention tinnitus or spikes. Beethoven got tinnitus when he left a very bad place for a very good one, Vienna, where he was hailed as a great virtuoso of the piano. And so on. For everything that I hear it's attributed to 'anxiety', I can think of an example where there's plenty of anxiety but no tinnitus spikes. If this anxiety stuff is true, then why even very happy people get ill ?

I am not saying we aren't anxious.....of course we are, and with very good reason. But to me 'anxiety' is something abstract. And also, it's an effect, not a cause. But I might be wrong. Who knows?

Sure, anxiety deserves some pretty deep study. A guy named Robert Sapolsky made very interesting studies about it.

The only thing I seem to know, is that no one knows much of anything, including myself of course.

Anyways, I hope you are doing better :)

• Useful Useful x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Fangen

Spike after sex? Very interesting...Yes, yours maybe has something to do with blood pressure. maybe..
      What ever the reason when you have a spike, don't listen it.. Just listen music etc...

And generally when one has a flu, there is a temporary spike... Don't get stressed if you have a spike for that reason.
      Soon it will be back on the normal level... (few days.. sometimes 1-2 weeks)

12. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Loud sound will do it, especially high-pitched yapping dogs. Other than that, it will sometimes spike for no discernible reason. The spike might last for hours and it might last for days.

13. HighStrung

HighStrung Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Hi Ozzy,

Sorry for the late reply, I don't get here much. I tried it a second time without honey and still got a spike, so no more of that for me.

14. HighStrung

HighStrung Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Another thing I've found caused a spike all three times I've taken it is Tylenol. All three times about 30 minutes after taking it I got a medium spike which lasted six hours. I took one 375mg tablet all three times.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @HighStrung

If there is a mechanism that causes a spike, reverse-mechanism can decrease the sound volume of T.
      That's why I'm interested in learning the reason spikes ....

16. Bryan101
      Depressed

Bryan101 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Stress & Anxiety = "T"
      "T" = Stress & Anxiety
      Stress & Anxiety = "T"
      "T" = Stress & Anxiety
      Stress & Anxiety = "T"
      "T" = Stress & Anxiety etc...

17. John G

John G Member

Great!! You found the cure! I will go right now and live with the buddhist monks for a year and will report my findings

18. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise impact/maybe seaborn
      The weather, especially when it flickers between wet and dry.

Also seasonal change, when summer transitions to winter and winter transitions to summer.

I suspect that many who are experiencing continuous year-long spikes maybe due to their geographical location where the weather doesn't permit the sufferer to experience a quiet day. I'm in Sydney, Australia but I hope to put this theory to the test one day and try living in a even less aggressive weather location.

19. SirLawrence

SirLawrence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      The weather, especially before a cool change. I can almost predict a cool change 2 days in advance. Seasonal changes as well and humidity
      Foods with spices and tomatoes. Coffee, alcohol.
      Talking on the phone.
      Being inside closed buildings, especially if they are underground or have lots of lighting, such as theatres, concert halls, galleries. I am wondering if it is due to electrical ions.
      Stress and lack of sleep.

20. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise impact/maybe seaborn
      Where are you located in the world? It would be interesting to compare weather patterns between the two regions.

Foods containing tannin (that bitter metallic taste) such as coffee, tea, red wine, whiskey will cause a spike for me.

Don't give up on alcohol just yet. Give white wine a try as it doesn't have tannin.

I also struggle with electrical noise. One of the building levels at work would drive up my hyperacusis and tinnitus with the electrical noise in the ceiling and walls, particularly around fluorescent lights. It was maddening.

21. i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me: Aspartame Poisoning. For Ent: L: TMJD / R: Dunno
      Right now, i think that my spikes have been caused by cold

22. Marte
      No Mood

Marte Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have not been able to determine for sure what causes my spikes. I know I notice it more in a car, and it is accompanied by a weird pressure. Almost like I need to pop my ears. I m female and I notice that it is louder at certain times of my cycle. I wish I could figure it out for sure because it's very scary!