Poll: How Did Ultrasonic Dental Cleaning Affect Your Tinnitus and/or Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by creasy212, Jun 18, 2021.

?

What was your experience of ultrasonic dental cleaning?

1. It made my tinnitus worse, temporarily

2. It made my tinnitus worse, permanently

3. It made my hyperacusis worse, temporarily

4. It made my hyperacusis worse, permanently

5. It made both my tinnitus and hyperacusis worse, temporarily

6. It made both my tinnitus and hyperacusis worse, permanently

7. It had no adverse effect on my tinnitus and/or hyperacusis

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. creasy212

creasy212 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Those of you with tinnitus and/or hyperacusis. Have you had dental cleanings since getting this condition? Did they use the ultrasonic tools? How did it affect your tinnitus and/or hyperacusis?

I just recently had a cleaning (lasted for 10 minutes) - I didn't even think of the impact of ultrasonic noise even though it felt audibly uncomfortable and it has made my tinnitus spike - still 3 days later.

I'm really kicking myself for not evening knowing this could be an issue as it took me 2+ years to habituate and now it feels back to square one - has anyone had experience of this? I've had tinnitus and hyperacusis for awhile and spikes rarely last a day or so...

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I only have my teeth manually cleaned after getting tinnitus and hyperacusis. I also go the dentist for a check up a little more often, to reduce the risk of cavities.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      creasy212

creasy212 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @TheDanishGirl, thanks for the reply — I’ll be doing that from now on. It's caused a spike in my hyperacusis — 4 days and unsure of any improvement but keeping fingers crossed!

4. XoutofstepX

XoutofstepX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from loud concerts.
      I went in for a cleaning a few months ago and they used that ultrasonic scaler. The sound is horrible, but thankfully it had no effect on my tinnitus. I have to get a cavity filled this Saturday, not looking forward to it. I think the drill used for cavities is somewhat quieter than the scaler. I am hoping I do not get a spike from it.