Poll: How Long Has Your Longest *Noise Induced* Tinnitus Spike Lasted?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MattS, Nov 5, 2019.

?

How long was your longest *noise-induced* tinnitus spike?

1. 1-3 days

2. 4-7 days

3. 8-14 days

4. 15-30 days

5. 31-60 days

6. 61-90 days

7. 90-180 days

8. > 180 days, my spike still has not resolved as of this time

9. I've never had tinnitus spikes

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      @Bill Bauer put together a poll several years ago that continues to serve as a landing point for important information re spikes. However, when he created the poll, he didn't entirely realize that spikes can regularly last a week or longer, and so all poll options are 7-days or less. Moreover, there is some question of whether spikes from noise exposure differ importantly from spikes from, say, anxiety or ear infections or bad posture.

So I'm setting up a second poll, to try to zero in even further on what Bill started to do several years ago.

So: How long was your longest *noise induced* tinnitus spike? Please, when you answer, also provide a short description of:

A) What noise triggered the spike.
      B) Exactly how long it lasted.
      C) Whether it eventually came all the way back down to baseline, or whether it set a new baseline.

If this poll is as popular as Bill's original one, we should gather quite a good amount of important info here.

-Matt

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Let's see, what year is it?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am sure there will be a lot of contributors to your poll @MattS and no doubt it will make for interesting reading. As I have previously mentioned to you, I do not get spikes since my hyperacusis was treated over 20 years ago and cured. I suspect, most of the people commenting on spikes will be those that have Noise Induced Tinnitus. The spikes are usually (but not always) a result of the auditory system being hypersensitive to sound.

Although some people may have habituated to their tinnitus, they may well be sensitive to sound which can cause spikes. The underlying root cause is due to hyperacusis being present. If this is not treated spikes can become a frequent occurrence and could become a long term problem and manifest into other conditions like phonophobia and misophonia. If possible a person should try and get their oversensitivity to sound treated by self help or seek professional help, with a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist trained in tinnitus and hyperacusis management and treatment.

Michael

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Cheers Michael - we'll put you down for "zero" then.

Definitely your information is long-term valuable. But not all of us have reached your promised land yet. And while we're getting there, the chances that we experience spikes will hover somewhere around, oh I don't know: 100%. So, while I appreciate your perspective, have asked for it in other contexts, perhaps this thread isn't the one where it needed to be repeated, again. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      I know your were mostly offering some bitter humor. But are you actually indicating that you've experienced a noise-induced spike that never receded back to baseline?

6. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      I'm trying to guess the number of days it has ever settled down just a little. I can't quite put a number on it.

7. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      The answer is missing:
      My "spikes" are most likely not caused by noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Hi Matt, just for clarification, I was diagnosed with severe tinnitus from the onset (those are two words you don't want to hear used in the same sentence). It's always been this way, short of 'better days' on occasion.

Mike

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Sorry Tinniger - you're purposely left out of this one then!

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member