Poll: Is Your Tinnitus Better or Worse in the Morning? And Do You Listen to Sounds Overnight?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MattS, Aug 19, 2019.

?

Is your tinnitus better/worse in the morning? And do you sleep with sound enrichment?

1. Better; I sleep with sound enrichment

2. Better; I don't sleep with sound enrichment

3. Worse; I sleep with sound enrichment

4. Worse; I don't sleep with sound enrichment

5. My tinnitus is neither better nor worse in the mornings - it's the same as before going to sleep

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Study results suggest:

* 2 out of 3 tinnitus sufferers do not use sound enrichment at night.

* 3 out of 4 tinnitus sufferers tend to have lower tinnitus volumes when they wake.

* There appears to be very little relationship between sound enrichment and morning tinnitus levels, though perhaps a slight relationship between no enrichment and worse morning tinnitus.

2. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      I once had the impression that not the kind of dream, but rather waking up during a dream (REM sleep) is rather connected with tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mine is always pretty intrusive when I wake up lately. Most days however, it goes back to "only hear with earplugs" after 5-30 minutes and stays that way the whole day

I listen to sound enrichment every night

It would be interesting to know if tinnitus is affected by REM sleep since cannabis supresses REM sleep

• Winner Winner x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      So the poll has changed slightly - there's now a statistical trend forming that suggests that sound enrichment at night may in fact relate slightly to better mornings (p = .13). It's just a trend - hasn't yet reached full statistical significance. And of course correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation. But only 13% (2 out of 14) who use sound enrichment report worse mornings, compared to 33% (10 out of 30) who do not.

5. Melanie1019

Melanie1019 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, stress, high frequency hearing loss, bruxism. ‍♀️
      Before I go to sleep, my tinnitus is much lower. But when I wake up, it’s loud again. Sometimes it’s so low that I don’t need to mask it. Other times, like last night it needed masking. Night time is usually the best for me.

6. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Haven't completed the poll as I don't seem to fit any of them, but surely whether the tinnitus is better of worse in the morning is largely/partly to do with one's perception of it at that particular time? Or am U talking nonsense?

I've tried sound enrichment but find it really distracting. I always used to sleep in silence, and any sound is hard to sleep with for me. So I often just sleep with my tinnitus so to speak. Not ideal by no means.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      What option could possibly be missing from the poll, other than "it's completely random"?

With tinnitus *everything* is largely/partly due to one's perception. But few on this site would suggest that it's all about perception (ie. that there isn't actually a troubling sound that varies in frequency). And so, sure, we could just throw our hands up in the air and say there's no point in trying to measure tinnitus volume because it's all subjective...but a) that's probably not true, and b) where would that get us?

Regarding the higher in morning/evening: Tinnitus is almost certainly not a homogenous disorder, and noise-induced versus drug-induced, versus stress-induced forms of tinnitus could very well take on different forms. One of the things I'm interested in doing is figuring out how to differentiate these subtypes of tinnitus, towards a more personalized medicine model. Not that this one poll is going to get us there, but it's a starting point, perhaps.

8. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mine is probably the same all day but it usually bothers me less as the day goes on. It really bothers me to hear it when I wake up.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      OK, got you.

Yeah, mine is pretty much completely random. I could have picked all the options, as sometimes I sleep with noise, and others I don't.

My tinnitus was, I feel, drug induced. Considering how many drugs are ototoxic in the wider sense, it seems like it will be hard to pinpoint the exact reason for the onset of tinnitus. Or maybe there are many reasons; it seems many chemicals are dangerous for the ear.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Yeah, it may be that subtyping based on cause will not be the most productive method.

But there are other possibilities: maybe those who have louder morning tinnitus differ in some important way from those who have quieter morning tinnitus. Maybe those helped by sound enrichment will show better results from something like Lenire than those who find it aggravates their tinnitus. Hard to know at this point because it's such early days...but there's a lot of potential in these directions.

11. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      Hey everyone,

Everyday, I wake up with a pretty bad tinnitus spike. I have several tones, but the tone that spikes is the most somatic one. This tone will spike after a shower (weirdly enough), or if I do anything where I move my neck or jaw or head.

It typically calms down about 30 minutes after I wake up and move my jaw around. For instance, if I eat something or relax or shift positions in my jaw it'll eventually calm down. What could be causing this? I don't grind my teeth, according to my roommates(my roommate is a very light sleeper and is familiar with teeth grinding). What could be causing this?

12. Deniseh

Deniseh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly b12/folic acid deficiency and GERD
      Most of the time mine's is better in the morning. When I wake up if I lie the right way then I can eliminate the sound totally, I've done this many times for hours lying in bed. It also fluctuates multiple times throughout the day with periods so low that everything masks it.

However my tinnitus tends to be a low hum, sometimes more like
      a vibration than a noise, I only get the high pitched sound intermittently.

13. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I chose the "no change" option earlier, but then my tinnitus changed. I gained a new, rhythmic sound which tends to be the worst upon awakening, but my older, ultra high frequency sound is much better in the morning, worst late in the afternoon and quietens down a bit during the night. Sounds still fluctuate a lot 6 months in.

14. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      My sounds finally stabilized after roughly nine months: meaning they still fluctuate, but always in the same predictable pattern. At this point, I hear them only in a (relatively) quiet room and when I go to bed or wake up. Knowing the horror it was on T onset, this doesn't bother me anymore. I don't use sound enrichment either, quit doing that a few months in.

Hopefully your sounds will settle down as well :)

• Like Like x 1
    15. Gman45

Gman45 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/13/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concussion or ETD
      Mine seems better very first thing in the morning. The longer and deeper I sleep the better it is. It ramps back up to its typical volume pretty quickly though. Sleep, more than any supplement, seems to have the most positive effect on my tinnitus. The irony of course it that tinnitus likes to try and prevent me from good, long sleep.

I think either it's some sort of hormone difference first thing in the morning, or something I'm doing or eating each day that ramps it back up.

16. Ryan Jones
      Curious

Ryan Jones Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe wood saw noise
      My tinnitus is definitely better in the morning. I currently sleep with white noise, but for a long time I didn’t and it was still quieter in the am.