Poll: Longtime Tinnitus Sufferers — What Type of Personality Do You Have?

Discussion in 'Support' started by HiThere, Apr 22, 2016.

?

Which of the following personality type(s) describe you?

1. Introvert

2. Extrovert

3. I'm a people person and very outgoing

4. My social circle is small

5. I like crowded events

6. I avoid loud situations when possible

7. I am very self confident

8. I lack self confidence

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. HiThere

HiThere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/1975
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Delivery by forceps? Childhood ear infections?
      Hello All:

I have had Tinnitus for as long as I can remember so I've never known life without it.

An audiologist confirmed my Tinnitus and also Hyperacusis and during my appointment told me something that was a revelation to me and I feel explains much of how my personality was formed. The audiologist explained that Tinnitus to the brain is like a piercing smoke alarm going off in a home. The tinnitus sufferers brain is ALWAYS on high alert. It initiates or affects the fight or flight response.

Rarely can I say I have ever been truly relaxed in my life and I'm 46. I'm sure most all of you would agree that it's hard to relax with tinnitus. Flat out, tinnitus makes me a nervous person.

It could be more my hyperacusis, but I am generally guarded around people that are not in my immediate family. If I were to give my brain a voice in regard to being around other people, in groups, etc, my brain would be in a continual wince saying "Please don't yell or make unpredictable loud noises around me!"

So, I am wondering if others have similar personality traits. Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Chris

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      this is interesting! this is why i think some people are prone to certain "conditions". personality and emotions plays a huge role in hormones and body function.
      ive always been worried about eveything and have had lack self confidence
      this condition is changing that, now i mostly listen to my inner voice, iam my own king :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I'm happy and bubbly and full of confidence and what ailments life throws at me a fight back harder.
      I have no control over my health issues but I'm in total control over what makes me happy.......what ever knocks me down I bounce back because I won't be defeated ... lots of love glynis

I have been diagnosed with another breathing problem that makes my voice croaky like a frog and that stops me chatting like a lady and hate it.....glad I have fingers to text ☺

• Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think that people who suffer with tinnitus are on high alert and responding to a piercing smoke alarm, and that people who simply say they have tinnitus and aren't bothered by it, are not on high alert, and are not responding to an annoying but ignorable background noise.

I'm sure the nature of the tinnitus is related to this, but I personally believe underlying personality traits are at least as significant. It may even be that people who are, by nature, prone to being on high alert, will tend to have "louder" tinnitus because our brains tend to amp up the signal gain on sensory input across the board. I've met a number of people with what they describe as "loud, high pitched tinnitus" which they claim to basically ignore, and people who describe being significantly distressed by "quiet hissing".

• Like Like x 1
    5. MidwestRN

MidwestRN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scarlet fever
      I describe mine as constant locusts or cicadas. Pitch and loudness pretty much always there, and I honestly cannot remember life without it. Had scarlet fever when I was in first grade, and had associated hearing loss in my left ear with it. That was in 1966. A while back! :coffee:
      I am relatively outgoing, but I get easily irritated in noisy environments. My hearing loss has progressed as I have aged, and I am trialing a pair of hearing aids currently. The tinnitus setting was offered, but when we tried it in the sound booth, I just found it irritating. Gave me another noise to listen to. Sorry, have enough noise up there!

6. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Used to be a very optimistic, extrovereted, happy person who loved life. Woke up ever day and thanked god for the life I had. I was so damn excited to see where life will take me, what kind of job I will get, etc. . Now I am very pessimistic, dark thoughts, etc. In just a year my life turned 180 degrees. It sucks now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. SomeGreyBIoke

SomeGreyBIoke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Had tinnitus since 2013, not a big issue anymore. Let your body heal guys, you'll be fine!

• Helpful Helpful x 1