Poll: Somatic Tinnitus with Displacement of the Lower Jaw: Does Everybody Have That?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tinniger, Jun 24, 2020.

?

Can you produce a sound in your ear by shifting your jaw (with your hand)?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      I have unilateral tinnitus (left ear) with variable intensity. When the lower jaw is shifted (by hand) sideways to the right, the tinnitus becomes significantly louder.
      I do not have tinnitus in my right ear. However, when I move my lower jaw with my hand to the left, I have a similar beeping sound in my right ear as on the left, but much quieter.

Question: Is tinnitus with lateral shifting of the lower jaw actually present in everyone and a completely normal phenomenon, - or not?

• Like Like x 1
    2. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      My jaw is messed up, which I believe contributes to the severity of my tinnitus. While I'm hesitant to move my jaw with my hand right now (it dislocated a few times this month and it's still painful) moving my jaw in general does change my tinnitus.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinniger

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My tinnitus is exactly the same hissing sound that I can also produce by shifting my jaw sideways.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinniger

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My "problem" seems to be very rare.

5. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      When I push my jaw foreword, extending my bottom teeth in front of my top, my tinnitus increases.

6. Lyris

Lyris Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You're not alone. I now have a weird sound I've never heard before just by moving my jaw back and forth when it was already irritated. I feel dumb for doing it. I have OCD and got triggered, etc. long story but I did it and now it's making a weird sound, almost like a muffled filter over my hearing that I guess could be considered tinnitus. But I also have signs of ETD. My issues have moved into my right ear a year and a half after it began in the left. I do think that I've been chewing mostly on my right side and my stress has increased a lot over the last 4 months - plus, I don't think my nightguard is even helping anymore. Every time I manipulate my jaw lately I notice the T gets VERY loud or louder for hours and hours afterward, like it sets something off or inflames something. I also get deep pulsing pains in what I guess is my middle ear from the issues with my jaw and neck.

Now I'm just done with it all, I'm going to get Botox and an MRI to see if I can use that for a cervical neck adjustment (I also have very bad neck problems and pains in my spine).

7. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Lyris,

I am sorry this is happening to you.

I would be interested to hear about your MRI findings.

I have facet joint arthropathy due to chronic OA - widespread, with TMJ involvement (which has flared up on the side where I have a recent dental procedure).

After decades of this, I discover three years ago that I have Lyme/coinfections, and this is most likely the causative factor towards developing Lyme arthritis.

I now believe that my pain flares are largely due to inflammation related to the infection.

I have done a cytokine panel, that has revealed that most of my pro inflammatory cytokines are significantly elevated.

On the basis of this, aside from treating the infection/s, I take anti-inflammatory herbs that are known to stop the cytokine cascade.

Stephen Buhner (renowned herbalist in Lyme circles) writes about this extensively.

I wouldn't assume all pain is structural like I did for so many years. If you have inflammation, something is driving it.

IDEAS YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE THOUGHT OF:

* CURCUMIN (turmeric with piperine)

* LOW DOSE NALTREXONE (LDN) - immune modulator. Applied to a whole range of health conditions; including auto immunity, and associated pain states, oncology etc.

. Read the LDN book by Linda Elsegood (available on Amazon)
      . www.ldntrust.org
      . LDN Facebook support groups

* PEA (PALMITOYLETHANOLAMIDE) - an endogenous fatty acid amide, that may be used in chronic pain and inflammation, with neuroprotective, anti-inflammatory, antinociceptive, and anticonvulsant properties.

And ultimately, if you have an infection causing your joint pain, then you need to do diagnostics and start treatment with a Lyme literate practioner. Just an idea.