Poll: What Is Your Visual Snow and Tinnitus Like?

Discussion in 'Support' started by threefirefour, Jul 24, 2018.

?

What is your visual snow and tinnitus like?

1. Somatic tinnitus and visual snow

2. Nonsomatic tinnitus and visual snow

3. Somatic tinnitus and no visual snow

4. Nonsomatic tinnitus and no visual snow

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
      It’s 100 percent related to T and brain damage. I don’t doubt that for a second.

I’m confused. Do other people on here think it’s anything but brain damage?

2. Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
    3. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I just think its odd that the black floaters are mostly on the left eye, most eye floaters are on my left eye, like huge wormy floaters and then a few dark ones. I happen to also have very bad tinnitus on that ear, notice that when I had mild Tinnitus from Sep-Dec I had no black eye floaters. I had a few floaters but nothing like this, before any T I had 0 floaters.

4. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Its not brain damage it is just this sensory processing part of the brain is overwhelmed.

5. Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
      But if the brain is just overwhelmed....that insinuates that one day it will go back to normal verusus being irreparably damaged. Has it gone back to normal for you?

6. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No it has been since March I had floaters. Remember I still have the same symptoms: Severe Hyperacusis and Severe Tinnitus and that appeared in Mid January. Perhaps if it lowers to mild and the hyperacusis goes away it will go away? I read somewhere here that somewone' s floaters went away in 2 years after their T reduced and H disappeared.

7. Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
      I’m tired of waking up with new symptoms every day.

Are there any other weird T symptoms I should be made aware of?

I’m sorry this happened to you too. This is garbage. I think i’d Process it better if I was given a change to fight this medically but there don’t seem to be any options besides stem cells.

Have you considered stem cells?

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's pretty much it.
      TOo expensive dont have money for it :(
      @threefirefour

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Natester1986
      No Mood

Natester1986 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 22, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure/Lexapro
      I only see the visual snow when it's dark. Had it for pretty much my entire life. No floaters whatsoever. As for my tinnitus, it hasn't gotten worse although i've had periods of a few hours of very quiet tinnitus.

10. Chad Lawton

Chad Lawton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible Ototoxicity + Noise Exposure
      Yup. 2 months after getting tinnitus my eye floaters got worse. Always had clear ones that I had tuned out and could only see when I look at the bright sky. Now I have dark ones as well and can see them in all sorts of lighting conditions. Its definitely related to tinnitus and thalamacortical dysrythmia and visual snow syndrome.

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I sent an email to the Visual Snow Initiative asking them if they think a device for tinnitus, e.g. Neuromod, could also help with visual snow, this was their reply:

Visual_Snow_Tinnitus.png

I'm really happy to hear they're working on a device for VS.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    12. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      I've had visual snow for years, long before tinnitus. I don't know when it started exactly, I was never bothered by it. Mine looks like my vision is an ISO 800 film, it's pretty bad. I can see it clearly on the bright things and in shadows it's even worse. In 2016 I had very bad circulation problems in my neck and my visual snow was very prominent, I also had black pulsating dots in my vision that were aggravated by any physical activity. Changing my body posture like fixing my posture (flexing my neck or shoulders) or getting up from the bed would aggravate them dramatically. I got better with treatment for brain circulation and hypoxia.
      Last year they started bothering me again. This November after a significant spike tinnitus after an MRI test I didn't notice any difference in visual snow, but after receiving plenty of medication for brain circulation it improved greatly within a few days to they point it was 80-90% gone and I no longer had black pulsating dots.
      Now it's been a month after I stopped taking medication for brain circulation and visual snow came back full force along with more prominent squiggly lines.
      I'm going to a chriopractor soon, my blood flow in my neck is limited due to c1 and c2 rotation, I'm hoping it will cure me from the visual snow and tinnitus too. I will also start new IV injections for brain circulation.

P.S. When I was an infant I had brain hemorrhage. Doctors tell me that it could somehow affect my brain and cause a lot of other provlems. I've had ADHD as long as I can remember and I have difficulties with concentration along with other problems.
      So I think my visual snow is likely related to possible brain damage or bad neck circulation.
      My friends wife also has visual snow and recently got tinnitus too. Her neck is not good too, due to years of working behind the computer.
      She recently visited a chriopractor and after a treatment she had a significant reduction in both tinnitus and visual snow althought it lasted for less than a day, but she says she noticed some slight improvements that stayed. She's going to have a few more sessions in hopes it will reduce the symptoms even further.

Also I think visual snow in there dark or dim lit environments is very normal for any person since your brain is just lacking visual input and turning up the gain. As a photographer I never thought anything bad about it and it always seemed logical to me.
      In 2016 when it was really bad I asked my friends and relatives about it and each and everyone of them said they could see it in the dark and dim environments too.

Also squiggly lines that you may see when you look at something bright are normal too, many people have them. That's just some collagen flowing around in your eyes and it's completely harmless.

13. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      So, I never really knew I had super mild visual snow, I always saw some dots flying around when I looked at the sky and thought that was normal. About four months ago I had my very first migraine, of course with an aura which scared the hell out of me and since then I've been dealing with visual snow. However, it has gotten better the last two weeks. I've been taking a vitamin d supplement but I have absolutely no idea whether that's the reason for my improvement or not.

Some hopeful visual snow research news (source):
      visualsnowinitiative.png

• Like Like x 6
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. gorzakus

gorzakus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
    15. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Is a very slight grainy vision in darkness normal or does that already count as visual snow? I never noticed that before reading about visual snow...

• Like Like x 1
    16. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Yes that's visual snow, just don't start focusing on it, it's easy to get used to

17. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      But I think I kind of had that always? I honestly can‘t say if it was different before my accident. What I can say with with 100% certainty is that two days after I got 2 floaters in each eye.

18. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Yes, I also had it my whole life, I compare it with a night vision camera.
      I used to think everyone had it but that's not the case.
      I also have floaters a very long time and the blue field phenomenon since 4 years.
      They don't bother me, but the tinnitus does

• Like Like x 1
    19. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      seeing some visual snow in dark environments is so completely common I wouldn't even call it an issue, especially for people in their late 20s and beyond. It is like with hearing; you can put many people in a totally silent room and they might be able to hear a little "eeee", so technically they "have tinnitus", but by our definition, no they don't.

My static is omnipresent, fast moving, and quite visible on complex surfaces in brightly lit rooms. It also doesn't bother me basically ever, drove me nuts for a solid year, though.

Interestingly, the handful of chemical agents that suppress my tinnitus do basically nothing for the visual snow (or, in some cases, actively make it worse).

20. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can't remember if I had this in childhood, but I always thought it's normal since it's like a digital gain on your camera.

If you turn up the ISO on your DSLR you get more grain.

21. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Exactly. Altough I notice it only in total darkness, if there is some light I can‘t see it.

22. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      visual_snow_update.jpeg
      I sent them an email asking whether they're launching this in the U.S. only or also in other countries, though I'm not sure whether they can share that information as of yet.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
      • Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    23. Ray552

Ray552 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      Anyone with unilateral tinnitus and visual snow? How do you manage your symptoms?

24. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Source: New data on visual snow shows lateral geniculate nucleus smaller compared to healthy patients but we don't know whether that's a consequence of having visual snow or causative.

rsz_1visualsnow-lgn.png

25. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Dope. I've read somewhere on reddit that someone got Visual snow because of Tinnitus, and that when their Tinnitus finally subsided, their visual snow went away. My onset from Tinnitus, I had Visual snow badly at it's worse where I could see it in the daytime with light filtering in, and at night, where it was waves of oscillating light and somewhat night blindness. Now that my T has gone mild, I no longer have night blindness and I can only see slight static on very dark colors.. I really do think the device for the Visual Snow Initiative will aid in a reduction of Tinnitus, I'm not gonna lie.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    26. Ray552

Ray552 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      Your post gives me life @GSC.

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      VSI is currently working on the development of customized lenses for suffers, and is carrying out several studies around the world. The initiative also recently launched a new research project thanks to a successful fundraiser with the support of public figures including Ringo Starr, Larry King, Sara Gilbert and Dr. Oz, raising over $126,000 in donations.

Iain:
      Can you tell us about your research project for 2019?
      Sierra: We are currently funding Visual Snow research in London, England and Melbourne, Australia. We will be funding and conducting another study in Boulder, Colorado during the summer of 2019. Separately, we are working with a team of neuroscientists and computer programmers to offer a resource that we hope will improve Visual Snow symptoms and allow a better quality of life for those who have it. We also expect this to be available in the summer of 2019. Additionally, the first trial of customized lenses is just now being manufactured. We hope these glasses will reduce Visual Snow symptoms for individuals simply by putting them on. If this is successful, we intend to make an announcement and have them available through the VSI. - source

Neurophysiological Exams Reveal Habituation Loss in Visual Snow Syndrome
      • Patients with visual snow syndrome experience occipital cortex hyperexcitability indicated by a loss of reversal visual evoked potential habituation and a decrease in phosphene thresholds when compared with healthy individuals

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What exactly does it mean?
      I did Visual Evoked Potential test and it was abnormal, more on the right side.

29. Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      7 months ago I voted that I don't have visual snow. Unfortunately 6 days I realised I also have this disease. No doubt tinnitus and visual snow are linked. What a strange world I live in right now...

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      My tinnitus and visual snow seem to be getting worse at the same time.