Positive ANA (Autoimmune) Test?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Canyonmom, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Canyonmom

Canyonmom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey, I was wondering if any of you have had positive ANA tests? I've have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis for more than 20 years, so of course I have antibodies. My ear doctor wanted me to get an ANA test, and the results came back 1:160 with speckled pattern. She was concerned that I might have Lupus, but I don't have ANY of the symptoms of that (or any of the other autoimmune diseases associated with these sort of results). Seems to me that the results might just be indicating my Hashimoto's. She is worried, however, that I might have autoimmune ear disease.

She wants me to take 25 mg Hydrochlorothiazide (diuretic) every day. I'm not convinced that it's a good thing to do (I do understand why she prescribed it). I already have relatively low blood pressure. And I'd noticed, when taking it a few days in row, that my legs started cramping up. So I have to take potassium or drink an electrolyte mixture to counteract that. I'm not happy about any of it. I don't want to be taking any extra drugs or supplements unless absolutely necessary.

She says that I have Hydrops. She isn't calling it Mienier's Disease because I don't have any dizziness.

In my opinion, unless she can show me with a scan or other test that there is fluid in my inner ear, I'm not convinced. I have cut down my salt intake, which seems to help the tinnitus to some extent, but it never goes away completely. Some days/times it's louder and at others it's quieter. I do have some moderate hearing loss in a Miener's-like pattern, but truthfully it doesn't effect my day to day life.