Possible Hearing Loss After a Noise Accident in the Kitchen? Do I Take Prednisone?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Freerunner, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Freerunner

Freerunner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Caloric test
      Hello guys,

Today I accidently pushed a metal pocket knife from the kitchen shelf. It fell off approximately 1 meter and the sound of hitting the floor was devastatingly nasty. I heard it 3 times louder due to my hyperacusis. I immediately felt that the exposed left ear muffed and it is now even worse than my right ear, which is usually the bad one.

Last time a dog's bark was enough to cause my right ear to be permanently muffed and I also developed a new zapping sound in that ear after the incident.

Now I am going through a really awful spike but I am more worried about the muffed feeling and the weakened hearing. It is not much, but it is a noticeable change for sure.

I already took 1200 mg of NAC and 500 mg of Magnesium. Any advice what to do next? I am afraid that this damage might be again irreversible.

If I am going to take Prednisone, which one should I buy?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      Stick to that supplement a stack for a couple of days. You will be fine.

It is a spike, and should be handled as that. These thing will happen, you simply can't pop Prednisolone like "candy" everytime a sudden, loud incident happens.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Freerunner

Freerunner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Caloric test
      @MindOverMatter, I will definitely take NAC for a couple of days. However, even after a whole night, the ear is not better at all. The spike has subsided a bit though... This is the same feeling I experienced in my last accident with the dog and I fear this time will be no different. I feel I lost some hearing abilities in left ear, and it used to be the better one...

4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      You should not take Prednisone for that...

• Agree Agree x 4
    5. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      I second that of @Juan and @MindOverMatter.

Prednisone should only be taken after an acoustic trauma where real structural damage has happened to the inner ear. I don't think this is an acoustic trauma, hence does not warrant prednisone. But sticking to some supplements are always a good call.

For future notice; sounds in the kitchen can be loud, especially when handling things like dishes. I think accidentally dropping a plate can easily peak over 100 dB. I think it makes sense to use hearing protection for things like that. Similarly to how we use hearing protection along roads where loud vehicles can pass by momentarily.

Take care of your ears, and I think your spike will improve.
      Stacken

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. guenguer

guenguer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss 2004/12/14/15
      He should. Better safe than sorry, could be SSNHL. Also Prednisone isn't as bad as people think it is. Visiting an ENT should be obligatory.

7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      No one should take Prednisone just because a knife dropped accidentally on the kitchen floor... and I can talk out of experience, as someone who has had severe hyperacusis.

• Agree Agree x 6