Possibly Could Be Honing in on Benzo Withdrawal and Multi-Toned Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Jan 16, 2017.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      The following information may bore you or think it is bad but I figured I would post this to see if it might give people an idea. This may not be safe. I am not recommending it. It is something you can talk to a doctor about.

My tinnitus seems to be caused by SSRI overdose originally which gave me a whistle, stress, and then later either the benzos stopped working or they increased my tinnitus. The past year it has been fluctuating bad.

However, last night I had an idea. I couldn't figure out why my tinnitus was loud sometime and then not loud or then I heard different tones louder. I realized I lumped a lot of those tones in together. For example, when one tone was loud, I pegged it down as "loud tinnitus" in general. What I realized is, I have multi toned and sonuding tinnitus that seemed to respond to different medications and/or supplements

Let me give you an example of my sounds:

Loud tone
      Whistle
      Steady staticicy and electric sound
      Winding noise and metal clicking sound that was caused by noise damage
      Some kind of static sound that happens at the end of a winding sound

I reduced the klonopin over the years because I realized it increased the whistling sound BUT it dawned on me last night that it lowered the tonal sound. Then I realized the whistling sound seemed be reduced by an anti-histamine (only done it with sleep though so I don't know if it would work without sleep). Then I realized MOST of the time, my the steady static/and electric sound was reduced by Lamictal.

Sleep and melatonin can also have an effect on my tinnitus as well but have not yet figured out ALL of the complexities of it to get a significant repeatable results every time. In addition, the dosages of each anit-histamine, klonopin, and Lamictal, I have not figured out optimal dosages for each.

Yesterday, I had an extremely loud tone which I had not experienced in a while. After refusing to take klonopin because I knew it would increase my whistle, I suffered with it all day. At night I decided to take 4x the normal klonopin usage (1.25mg instead of .125mg - .25mg - could be very safe, not recommending it) in addition to this, I took 25mg of Hydroxyzine (antihistamine) and went to sleep (sleep was the X factor I thought would combine to wake up to low T) My assumption was that T would be lower in the morning when waking up and in fact it was. Then I took my Lamictal dosage and that got rid of lot of the small amounts of electric/static sound except for the static that comes from the end of the winding. So now, I have a light whistle and low intermittent static that came from winding noise damage and a low clicking sound. In fact, my hearing aids hardly are any help now at reducing T because it is so low.

Side effects for me include: Nausea when taking Hydroxyzine, possibly on taking it on an empty stomach. Waking up more tired than usual because of Klonopin and Hydroxyzine (antihistamine). however, I got a nice rest and nice dreams. A dry mouth. Temporary increase in hunger. In addition due to a large amount of klonopin I got some extra hair loss (this is very temporary and happens only when I take a large amount). Also, a very relaxed, chilled feeling.

Interestingly, my doctor allows a range of klonopin that I am allowed to take. (Usually between .5mg and 1mg) But I do not like to take more than .5mg a day. I am trying to take lowest amount of klonopin possible since I know this stuff can stop working right overtime.

A few things I need to keep in mind, Hydroxyzine has a long half life as well as klonopin. I am not sure if that is good or not.

I am thinking meclizine (another shorter life anti-histamine) would be better to take at night), in addition, I am wondering if I can take a low amount of klonopin on a regular day and then when a tone gets loud I can "reset" with one night of a larger klonopin dose. Also, the lowest amount I can take of Lamictal might be best as well.

There may be a way I can reduce some of the noise damaged tinnitus but I haven't figured it out. In addition, I need to figure out the melatonin, sleep combination, the separate sleep or nap connection affect, and Lamictal dosage effect. And to see if magnesium glycinate has any effect at all since I have been taking that.

I have no idea if this will work long term but I have looked back on my journal and saw this situation happened 3 times over a period of 8 months. (I did not try this much)

Do not take this as the full story as I might come back to update.

It may be beneficial to learn half lifes, onset of actions, peak plasma, etc. before you take medications from your doctors.

2. Mashud

Mashud Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      i have the same sounds as yours and mine came from antibiotics and antimalarials