Potentially Loud Lab Session with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Striveon, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So I'm about a year and a half in with tinnitus and always avoided taking loud classes.
      It is time for me to finally finish my two last science classes.

I'm afraid of lab which is 4 hours long, I'm afraid it will be loud with many people talking during lab session.

The class capacity is 26 students.

Should I drop the class? I don't use earplugs because of my hearing aids. I have mild tinnitus and I have moderate frequency hearing loss.

I am afraid of spiking my tinnitus just for a stupid class, not worth the risk.

2. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Can you talk with the teacher about your concerns? Maybe you can take and pass the class without participating in lab? Is it a one time thing? Or you have lab session every week?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      Disability accommodations? My old university offered these, I think it’d be worth looking into.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's a lab session every week :/ so there's not much of an escape. They do have a back room, I wonder if she would let me do it in there which I doubt plus how can I ask, I don't know what to do you know.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am in the disability accommodation but it's not much help for tinnitus people, what could I ask? Sucks, because I want to be able to be with my friends like a normal person you know.

• Hug Hug x 1