PPI: Pantoprazole Magnesium vs. Pantoprazole Sodium — Tinnitus as a Side Effect?

Discussion in 'Support' started by David Vance, Jul 8, 2023.

1. David Vance

David Vance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chemotherapy, imbalances with the body
      Hi all. I have been taking Pantoprazole Sodium for many years with no tinnitus. Now for a few months I have been getting tinnitus from it.

Does anyone know if Pantoprazole Magnesium doesn't have tinnitus as such a side effect perhaps? I know salt / sodium in general is not good for us, but am wondering why for almost 2 years I never got tinnitus as a side effect from the Pantoprazole Sodium.

I am having GERD surgery in August to stop it for once and for all, so I won't be on the meds anymore.

I have been taking Pantoprazole Sodium twice daily 40 mg for 2.5 years, and once daily for a few months now, and as soon as I take it, 2-3 hours later, my tinnitus starts up and it goes away the next day. So my question is, does anyone have experience with Pantoprazole Magnesium instead of the Pantoprazole Sodium, or other PPI meds that do not aggravate tinnitus?

Thank you so much.

2. Stu1983
      Studious

Stu1983 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Around 2008/spiked 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2008 sound/2018 Meds made the volume several times worse
    3. fliesatnight

fliesatnight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      as long as I can remember, worsened 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sound exposure
      Similar boat here, GERD and hoping to finally have surgery soon. I've taken PPIs daily for 13 years now but, as far as I can tell, they've never had an effect on my tinnitus. Here in the US, Omeprazole, Esomeprazole, and Lansoprazole are all available over the counter so I tend to think of those as the "go-to" meds for reflux. Generally speaking though, there's no reason not to try out different PPIs since they're all relatively safe and the efficacy between those three and Pantoprazole are all pretty much the same, at least in my personal experience. Of all the PPIs I've been on, I think I only used Pantoprazole for a couple of months though. For the last few years I've been on 80 mg daily of either Omeprazole or Esomeprazole.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David Vance

David Vance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chemotherapy, imbalances with the body
      Thank you so much for this. My doctor prescribed me 20 mg of Omeprazole a few weeks ago, but I have not taken it yet.

Do you take 80 mg of Omeprazole daily? Do you take two pills at once or do you have 40 mg pills of Omeprazole? I think this Pantoprazole has done me in very badly. Even after taking my dose today, I can tell that my tinnitus has significantly gone up a lot. Usually it tones down by the next day, but for the last week, it has not toned down at all. I can't wait for the surgery next month, I just have to make sure that my tinnitus & hyperacusis levels are okay to be able to make the 60 minute trip to Toronto.

Thanks so much for this!

5. fliesatnight

fliesatnight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      as long as I can remember, worsened 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sound exposure
      One 40 mg pill before breakfast and another before dinner. I really can't eat at all unless I take medication first. Good luck with the (I'm assuming) Nissen. I have loose plans to have surgery in November/December and the thought of being able to eat food I actually like again almost seems too good to be true at this point, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about how everything involved with the surgery might impact my tinnitus.