Prescribed Zithromax (Azithromycin) for Serious Lung Infection — Can It Make My Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by shrimp, Apr 7, 2022.

1. shrimp
      Balanced

shrimp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SCDS, Possibly Ciprofloxacin also.
      I got a pretty serious COVID-19 infection almost a month back. After the initial infection passed I developed a sinus infection. My doctor managed to treat me for it without any antibiotics per my request although it took over 10 days to clear up with the help of other medications.

Unfortunately now, 4 weeks after I was first infected I am still coughing and have even managed to fracture a rib from all the coughing. So now my doctor said it was time for some antibiotics as I've developed a bacterial infection in my lungs and I need to stop coughing since the rib that fractured is killing me with pain every time I cough.

I discussed my tinnitus at length with him, he was supportive and understood my fear but still in this case recommended we go with a three day course of 500 mg per day Zithromax (Azithromycin) since it's done well in treating bacterial infections following COVID-19. Reading on these forums it seems some do fine with Zithromax and some really badly so I'm really scared but feel like I really have no choice.

Any advice or input (or success stories on having been treated with Zithromax without problems) would be much appreciated.

Oh and a temporary spike I can deal with, even if it lasts a few weeks, that's a price I'm willing to pay to kick this bug, but possible long term damage is my fear.

2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I have had Zithromax in the past and it was absolutely fine in my particular case.

• Like Like x 1
    3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I have read accounts of permanent spikes with Azithromycin.

I personally would find other solutions like herbs (I have mostly recovered from Lyme with TCM).

4. CC_16

CC_16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Upper respiratory infection
      Did you ever take the Zithromax? How did it go?

5. I love you

I love you Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've taken Zithromax in the past without any issues.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      Did you have ME/CFS type of symptoms with your Lyme? What herbs did you find helped the most?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shrimp
      Balanced

shrimp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I did take them as I was in such a bad shape, broken rib and all. It did not make my already worsened tinnitus (from the COVID-19) even worse, thank God. Didn't make it better either (not that I ever thought it would but a girl can dream). The antibiotics finally helped me kick the bug and I am now on the mends after having been sick for so many weeks prior to taking them.

Now I'm just trying to learn to live with the worsened tinnitus that I got from the COVID-19 infection itself. have basically given up on it settling down as it's been so many weeks already.

8. CC_16

CC_16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you have tinnitus in 1 or 2 ears?

9. Marshall
      Anime

Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/virus/loud noise/antibiotics
      What’s TCM? I might have Lyme.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Traditional Chinese Medicine - my Lyme literate naturopath used a lot of Stephen Buhner's recommendations with TCM.

My tinnitus didn't like Artemesia (Buhner formerly used this to treat Babesia) but prefers Cryptolepsis.

If you need any support around Lyme treatment etc, i could write a book. Feel free to ask me anything.

• Winner Winner x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shrimp
      Balanced

shrimp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Both :/ I used to have it only in one ear the first couple of years but then it started in the other one as well. It's not exactly the same in both ears though. And the first one affected is still way worse than the other, although the other also has pulsatile tinnitus on top of the tonal one. I have SCDS on both ears according to my MRI so it's a bit of a party in there XD

• Hug Hug x 1