Probably (Light) Spike After an MRI Scan

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zok, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Zok

Zok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      not sure, likely 10+years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      don't know maybe loud sounds
      A doctor recommended me to do an MRI scan of brain for neuropathic pain. I possibly made mistake so I done a 1.5 T scan on GE machine without silent scan and I think it was a bit louder than Toshiba Vantage 1.5 T (maybe around 5-10 db or so) on which I did the former MRI last year. Before I had tinnitus maybe 10 years ago I did a MRI scan in Siemens 1.5T MRI which was quite loud as GE + in another one as well and I didn't got tinnitus from it - maybe just a slight one. I did wear silicone earplugs but probably no more than 20db protection.

I am not exactly sure if there is a spike now. I did the MRI 2=3 days ago. The tinnitus sounds like it could be maybe 20% higher, but I doubt it is higher than that.

I could subside on its own, but I wonder if it would be better to do something to help the ears to maximise the chances that the spike would go away?

I did about month before 10 HBO treatments, but it didn't help my tinnitus at all but I guss this is because it was around 2 years after T started. I could do 10 more sessions of HBO and I would do them for sure, if the spike was truly noticeable. But HBO won't help at all if there isn't any spike, and it is pretty expensive to do 10 treatments again.

What's the minimal treatment count I should do.

Is there any other way such as intravenous corticosteroids for example that would work without HBO and in how much. For example I prednisone as stated here - https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...itus-recently-this-info-will-be-useful.25741/

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zok

Zok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      not sure, likely 10+years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      don't know maybe loud sounds
      Here is audiometry test, it is noticable there is a reduction around 250hz, and the MRI noise should be a low frequncy noise of 50-1000 hz so it is possible there is a slight hearing reduction in this area.

But I did check using online audiometry testers and found out that my hearing on 250 Hz is pretty much the same in 500 and 1000 Hz and when I play the sound. Also the lowest sound on 250 Hzis pretty much the same on 500 and 1000.

Audiometry:
      after:
      b9jejq.jpg

before:
      348hqok.jpg

3. LAnative
      Fine

LAnative Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Hey buddy I am in a similar situation. I had the MRI 2 weeks ago and for the past week I've noticed above average tinnitus. I am wondering if it is a delayed spike from the MRI.

How are you doing now, has the spike subsided?

4. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Is it possible youre suffering from anxiety spikes and not actual spikes? Sometimes I listen to my T closely and it feels 20% louder than baseline of I really focus on it. If I shift attention away for 10 seconds then listen to it again, I realize I was just imagining it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. David Dubros

David Dubros Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And im about to make an appointment for an MRI.
      Now im scared.

6. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Use triple protection, ask them to let you do a test run on it, don't risk it if they seem unsympathetic to your requests

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. David Dubros

David Dubros Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How long does the MRI last?

8. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      If you aren’t even sure you did damage, why bother with anything. If you can’t tell, who cares? I posted about this the other day, people on here worrying more about getting worse, than their actual condition.

Time to visit a anxiety forum?

9. AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure while doing work on home
      I had a brain and neck MRI today using the silent scan. IT WAS NOT SILENT. That name is a monomer. It should be called reduced sound, but most scan sequences were well above 4 decibles over ambient sound. Some were very loud and I was wearing ear plugs along with having them pack the side of my head and ear area with padding to further block the sounds. I don't know how GE can get away with such blatant false advertising.