Problems Pressurizing Ears and Relative Spikes...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lorenzo74, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I have had T for about 3 years, and my sound never changed much in tone/loudness...

In december I had to take 3 consecutive flights (about an hour and half each flight), and each time we were descending my ears had increasing troubles in pressurizing... By the time I got home in the evening my ears felt clocked and muffled and my T spiked... I tried doing the valsava's manouvre to clear my ears but not working properly (since my T-onset I tried avoiding doing it as I heard it can worsen your T)...

It took a few days for things to go back to normal, but last friday I drove down from the mountains near my hometown where I was holidaying, and as I was driving down the same thing happened, and I still feel my ears very unconfortable with a spiked T...

I realize my right ear is the one with the most troubles in pressurizing... Next week I am going to see an ENT and see what he thinks about it... But I was wondering if anyone in here can relate to what happened to me and may had some input to share...

Also, if anyone has some particular technique for pressurizing your ears, I would love to hear from you... :)

I believe my H, which has always been very mild since my T-onset, has gotten worst the last couple of weeks, and I am wondering if it could be related to the pressure issue...

Anyway... Lets hope 2017 will bring some peace to all of us..

2. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      I've always had problems with equalising pressure, closing car window, even closing the shower cubicle door at times, driving on hilly roads etc...chewing helps me rather than valsava, be ware god your jaw if you have tmj though as chewing can make it worse...You may be focusing on t more now that you are aware of your ears?

However had this far before onset of t and ENT couldn't find anything when he did pressure test...it comes and goes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi @Candy

I didn't really use to have problems equalising before T and since quite recently actually... Thing is, I have been taking quite a few flights the last few months and maybe my ears are not equalising as well as they used to.. And so when I have the muffle ears I hear the T more loudly... Maybe it is just because of the pressure and not an actual change of loudness, but I do need masking again when that happens when I go to sleep... Then, after a few days, everything goes back to normal... But I am wondering if it is the sign of some more troubles ahead with my ears and maybe I should take some actions before it gets worst as it didn't use to be like that... Hopefully the ENT will be able to tell me something about it...

I don't think I have TMJ, so I will definitely try the chewing bit and see if it helps... I read on here somewhere some time ago about keeping your mouth wide open when descending on a plane as that helps equalising your ears.. I tried a couple of times but didn't help much and I just looked weird to the passengers next to me :)

You look a lot like an Italian actress if that is your photo in the profile :)

ALl the best !

4. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      When flying tend to to chew sweets and sip water throughout the flight.

It is her...I was also born in Italy :)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      @Candy :) Thought so..

Thanks for the tips ! Ciao !